Poor results with Moab Lasal Matte double-sided and Epson R2400

<p>I've been using Moab Lasal Double-Sided matte paper with my Epson R2400 and Photo Black ink and I can't seem to get good results.<br>

I'm having two problems...<br>

1. There is a color shift. Not huge but enough for me to know that something is wrong. I'm using the profile for this paper which I downloaded from the Moab website. I'm setting my media type to Enhanced Matte, as suggested. I'm using Photo Black ink. If you try to use matte black it says you have the wrong ink cartridge installed. Relative Colorimetric is my rendering intent. I get very accurate color when printing on the Epson Enhanced Matte paper, but the Moab shows a significant color shift. My monitor is profiled regularly.</p>

<p>2. There seems to be a splotchyness to the print, as if the paper is not accepting the ink properly. I can't obtain a smooth field of color without seeing little light dots everywhere.<br>

I'll attach screen shots of my print settings. I'm using Photoshop CS4.<br>

Unfortunately I just ran out of this paper, so I can't do more testing.<br>

Thank you.</p>

<p>The Moab profile is generated for Matte Black. You really need to be using the MK ink cartridge (and generally should anyway for any matte paper, as you'll get far denser blacks).</p>

<p>If the printer complains about the wrong ink being loaded, you need to delete and re-add the printer from the Print & Fax preference pane. Sometimes the driver figures it out, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, it just needs a little kick in the pants.</p>

<p>Fine is also generally not going to yield good results with photographic prints. Photo or above will work better. The quality setting affects a number of things, including the amount of ink the printer lays down (which, in turn, affects a number of things, like the continuous tone appearance of the output—not enough ink means not enough dot gain which can mean a visible screening pattern).</p>

<p>I use Moab Entrada Natural and Bright white matte papers extensively with my 3800 and CS3 and get excellent results. Since I use a 3800, some things may be slightly different but I have a setting for "accuphoto hd," instead of "color" and I use superfine 1440. Tests have shown that 2880 is not necessary and just slows printing.<br>

Bottom line is you MUST use matte black ink for matte paper, as Colin said above. I am certain that something you are doing is preventing the printer from using the proper ink. Perhaps a fellow 2400 user can help.<br>

Good luck.<br>

Eric</p>

<p>Moab Lasal Double-Sided <strong>matte paper </strong>with my Epson R2400 and <strong>Photo Black ink</strong><br>

<strong><br /></strong></p>

<p>i think you see where the problem is ; )<br>

<br /><br>

<strong>I'm using Photo Black ink</strong>. If you try to use matte black it says you have the <strong>wrong ink cartridge installed</strong><br>

<strong><br /></strong><br>

because you also need to change the cartridge IN the printer of course.<br>

<br /></p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I've done some test prints using the Matte black ink. The color is accurate, but the blotchyness is still present. It's only occurring in the shadows and the darker midtones. It almost looks like super large grain or something. It's not present in the image file at all. All of the shadows are textured with these lighter colored specs. There large enough to be very disruptive. I can see them clearly from 1.5 feet away on a 5x7 print. I can notice the problem very slightly on other papers I've used, but barely. Not enough to have ever caught my attention.</p>