Poor Images w/ Canon 50D+17-55 2.8 ?

t_p10

<p>Hey all,<br /><br />Newbie here with ongoing frustration over the image quality from my Canon 50D w/ Canon 17-55 lens.<br /><br />I have a 1 yr old 50D and recently purchased 1 17-55 lens however my photos have been average/good at best. Regardless of what setting I use, and where I focus, I just cant get sharp photos. I shoot in jpeg with no post processing (im currently working on learning that element). <br /><br />When shooting in auto mode, the photos are worse than those taken with my old point and shoot SD1100. Yes, I know....auto mode will normally result in average photos, but surely a $1000 camera body with $1000 lens shouldnt result in poor quality photos even in auto mode.<br /><br />While Im not a pro, and still getting used to my camera settings, I'm beginning to think my camera/lens need to be serviced. Or is this truly a case of raw/post processing being necessary to get super sharp photos.<br /><br />Any input would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks !<br /><br />Terry<br />Chicago</p>

<p>99% of focus problems are user error. Here are a few things right off the bat that should help. Choose a specific Auto Focus point yourself (I don't think you can do this in auto mode) and put that point on your subject when focusing, that way you are forcing the camera to focus on the right thing and not allowing it to choose from 9 points and hope it chooses correctly. Also, use one shot focus on still subjects and al servo on moving subjects. One shot locks focus so the camera won't refocus after correct focus is achieved. Al servo is continuously focusing and refocusing, so if a subject is moving this mode keeps it in focus instead of locking focus, as One shot does, and then the subject moving out of the focus plane. As you take the shot, do not move, even a movement of an inch closer or farther from your subject can cause it to be out of focus. A tripod is ideal, but not always practical. Lastly, make sure your shutter speed is fast enough. Lots of times what appears to be an out of focus (OOF) image isn't OOF at all, its blurred because the shutter speed wasn't fast enough to freeze the subject. On still subjects you should never shoot slower than 1/focal length shutter speed. For example, with a 50mm lens you would need to shoot at a shutter speed of at least 1/60 second (1/50 isn't an option). For action, you'd need a much faster shutter speed.</p>

<p>I took a photo of an object with the SD1100 then again with the 50D using AV mode and focusing on the area which looked the sharpest in the SD1100 photo, but still no comparison. The SD1100 was sharper.<br>

Shouldnt the 50D at least look better than the SD1100 in full auto mode ?</p>

<p>Here's a link with some sample photos:<br /> <br /> <a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/116479188421149458559/Desktop" target="_blank">http://picasaweb.google.com/116479188421149458559/Desktop</a>#<br /> <br /> The first photo was taken with the Canon SD1100 (auto mode)<br /> Second photo with Canon 50D w/ 17-55 lens (auto mode)<br /> Third photo with Canon 50D w/ 17-55 lens (landscape mode). The first thing I noticed is how out of focus the brown roof on the right is. (f10, 1/100, iso-100)</p>

<p>The two photos of the car were on taken on full auto. Looking at the grille and wheels of the car, you can see that the 50D is out of focus as compared to the SD1100.<br>

The landscape photo was taken at f10, 1/100, iso-100 using the landscape mode on the camera.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The two photos of the car were on taken on full auto. Looking at the grille and wheels of the car, you can see that the 50D is out of focus as compared to the SD1100.<br>

The landscape photo was taken at f10, 1/100, iso-100 using the landscape mode on the camera.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The red roof is a little blurry b/c its on the edge of the photo with a wide angle lens. Anything on the edges will always be less sharp than the center, especially with wide lenses, and this is even more apparent on the 50D than the P&S b/c the sensor size is so much larger. The larger sensor takes in more of the outer edges of the image circle where more blur occurs. Photos are sharpest at the center and since P&S sensors are so small, they ONLY take in the center. The same thing applies to the car photos. It looks like the 50D is focused more on the near side of the car drawing and it looses sharpness as you get farther away. This is b/c its farther from the focus point and the bigger sensor gives less depth of field. Try taking a portrait at a low f stop with each camera and see the difference in background blur, the P&S won't have near as much as the 50D. I don't think there's anything wrong with the camera, its just new to you and you have to learn how it will react in different situations and learn how to use it to its fullest potential. Until then it will be in control of your images instead of you.</p>

<p>[[shouldnt the 50D at least look better than the SD1100 in full auto mode ?]]</p>

<p>You're comparing apples and oranges. The small sensor and very wide angle lenses required for the SD1100 will not produce the same results as the 50D, especially at large aperture. The SD1100 will naturally have far more depth of field than the 50D. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think Nathan is right and you first need to try shooting with smaller apertures. Set the camera in Av mode and set aperture at least at 5.6 (preferably in the 8-11 range). Take a few pictures and let us know if the images are sharper. If not, do you have any other lenses? Did you buy 17-55 brand new or used?</p>

<p>Tried with a tripod and all sorts of settings/apertures, and still no super crisp results. Lens was purchased used (6 months old at time of purchase last month). Ill try a friends lens and camera and see how they compare. Worst case, I bring camera and lens into local Calumet Photo for a checkup</p>

<p>[[Having tried numerous settings, focal points, etc, I still cant get the 50D to produce as sharp of a photo as the SD1100. Im going to try again with my friends Canon T1i.]]</p>

<p>TP:</p>

<p>You need to be more systematic about your testing. As mentioned, the SD1100 will, by it's nature, produce photos with more depth of field than the 50D. And yes, it's likely that the SD1100's default sharpening (and color saturation, and contrast) settings are higher than with the 50D.</p>

<p>Additionally, as the 50D is producing 15MP photos and your SD1100 is producing 8MP images, if you're comparing 100% views, you're again not comparing apples to oranges.</p>

<p>Buying expensive equipment doesn't mean your images are going to be "better" if you don't understand how the equipment works. (This is not a criticism, this is just reality.)</p>

<p>Jeez. Stop apologizing for the thing. The 50D + 17-55 should be tack sharp even at f/2.8. My normal reaction when viewing the images is, "Gosh, I love this lens." If you don't get that, something very well could be wrong. Make double sure by carefully shooting more test shots. Shoot them at f/5.6, no smaller. Use flash at fastest sync speed to eliminate camera shake. Mount the camera on a stable tripod if you're uncertain.</p>

<p>Send it back to Canon for adjustment if it is still under warranty. Just a brief note about soft images will suffice.</p>

<p>TP, the problem with 17-55 is that previous owner might have opened it to clean the dust and then did not put it back correctly. Was there any dust inside the lens when you purchased it? Did it collect dust since you bought it ( I assume it was used)?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>When shooting in auto mode, the photos are worse than those taken with my old point and shoot SD1100</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This may or may not be the case, depending on who is shooting. And it seems to be true in your case. Just because someone got a new racing car doesn't mean he/she can drive any faster. I remember in a movie (is that Pretty woman?) how Richard Gere drove a stick shift car</p>

<p>Understood, however after using several different settings, I still cant get razor sharp photos. As far as full auto mode goes, while I dont normally use it, I figured it would at least give better results than a point and shoot at full auto.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I <em>figured</em> it would at least give better results than a point and shoot at full auto.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You <em>thought</em> so or you <em>wish</em> so but in fact, you <strong>figured</strong> out it is the opposite. And that's the truth, at least with you</p>

<p>John is right, P&S will often produce better results than a DSLR on full auto. P&S's are designed for people that just want to do just that, point and shoot, and don't usually know much about post processing or camera settings. For that reason, the maufacturers design P&S's to make great photos with little work. All the camera settings and post work is done by the camera, not the person, and they usually do a good job. However, with a DSLR all the settings and post work is up to you and if you don't know how to do these things as well as P&S are programmed to do then your photos won't look as good. But when you do learn how to manipulate the settings and really fine tune RAW images in post the differences can be dramatic.</p>