POLL: (yes/no) Do you use a flash bracket and why?

rick_shanahan

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Nadine, I use when when I need to. If I'm indoors and can bounce the flash, I don't use one. If I'm outside, I might use one to give the flash a little separation. However, the one I have isn't adjustable and doesn't give more than an inch difference with a camera grip attached.

Directly, it keeps subjects' eyes from turning red or purple. I use it for weddings, directly or bouncing off walls for soft lighting. It

helps me see people better than having the flash camera mounted. With zoom tuning, it creates a vignette. But I generally don't use

them. Weight doesn't bother me. Check out some of those people wielding hi-end video stuff! So, no.

I use it when I need flash. I have the camera flip model. Love the fact that the flash stays in one place. It's heavy at first but you get used to it. I used to haul a broadcast camera around for local TV. It's not that heavy. Nice handle to hld while your waiting. Second camera has prime. It hangs off right shoulder. Would not shoot events with out it.

I have one and use it. I was introduced to the wonders of the Stroboframe by a former boyfriend who was an art photographer. It's particularly handy if you hang an external battery from one of the tripod mounts.

For what its worth, people seem to pay more attention to you when your camera looks bigger. To many non-photogs, even an EOS 400D looks "professional," on a bracket with an external flash. :-)

I've never owned one, and never will. I use the Gary Fong Lightsphere pretty religiously, but occasionally will just bounce off walls or ceilings. With the Lightsphere, you don't need a bracket because of the way it works. I use it sometimes on the flash mounted ON the camera, but often holding the camera off to the side with a sync cord (my flash does wireless, but it's IR, so not as consistent in firing that way). Whether the flash is on the camera shoe or handheld, you really don't need the bulk of a bracket, and can hold it high enough to control shadows. Plus, if you watch what you're doing and don't shoot people against walls, you won't have shadows to worry about anyway. I turn them down a hallway or into the room to shoot them, so shadows disappear.

In my experience and opinion, brackets are passe. They do serve a purpose, but there are many tools and techniques that eliminate the need for one.

Well - I guess I am going against the grain - I love my bracket - I love carring my camera on it (I don't use a camera strap) and I love that it flips - I like the stablity that I get using a bracket and think I get sharper shots because it helps me steady myself... II use the same bracket as Dawn above I attache my flash and I am set to go for the entire wedding - if I need the flash I use it - if not... I turn it off... I don't have to worry about shadows or red eye...

I use one, but I sort of have to, because I'm using Quantum flash units. Once you get the feel of using a bracket my feeling is the photos look a bit better. If I were to use a Canon flash or a Nikon flash it's harder to bounce vertical shots resulting with a chance of red eye and harsh shadows.

Like Nadine, I use one when it makes sense. For awhile I stopped using one and used various Fong solutions, but I don't

like that for everything ... in fact I'm liking it less and less.

My main use for a flip bracket now is with a wireless Nikon Commander unit and a SB900 ... PLUS a Hensel Strobe Wizard

radio transmitter to remotely control monoheads. The Hensel radio system allows you to increase or decrease power to

each head independently at the camera. So I needed a place to mount the transmitter, and re-engineered a Stroboframe flip

bracket to do that job.

No. I looked at several but never felt comfortable with any of them. A 580 EX with a Gary Fong Light Sphere attached works well for me and gives me the feel and control of the camera I want. Switching from horizontal to vertical with the light sphere on is a simple movement.

I almost always use my camera flip model and it allows me to position the omnibounce at the correct angle/position for bounce and fill. My second camera doesn't go on a bracket and it's used when I want a different lens, or for available light, or with the omnibounce taking horizontal shots. It's also true that Uncle Bob rarely shows up at a wedding with his camera mounted to a bracket.

I always use a flash bracket. Its not a flip model, I hated using that one, its just a simple cheap video light bracket. I still bounce when I want since its not a flip bracket your not fighting the flipping thing to angle the head on the flash.

Its all personal prefrence I guess

Dan

Pankaj, you can create somewhat studio-like lighting on location with 2-3 remote flashes. When I use on-camera flash, it's

always with a bracket. The bracket improves vertical shots by repositioning the shadow to where it is not as obstructive.

When I have the possibility, I position three flashes and use an SU-800 on the camera to fire the flashes. This is because I

am used to available light which doesn't change when I move the camera; using remote flashes with no on-camera flash is

easier for me to understand the results from shot to shot. Unfortunately as the action changes place, I don't always have

time to move the lights. I'm working on it ;-)

I do not use a flash bracket. I have several, and all are bulky and complete with dangling cables - like a Red Skelton skit. I get excellent results using a diffusion cap (e.g., Sto-Fens) on a shoe flash for candids, and monolights on stands for formal group photos.

Yes, always. Back in the days when I used 35mm, I would often remove the flash from the bracket to get better depth and

a different feel, less like a flash shot. But now that I shoot with a 6x7, just the weight and cumbersomeness(?) of the

camera/flash combination make such manipulation impractical. I am diligently studying ways to use my auto strobonar

more effectively, bounce flash, diffusion, etc.

Mike Best