something about Leicas just about every week. But this week has a

feature on former Police guitarist <a

href="http://andysummers.com/">Andy Summers</a> and his collection

<I>City of Light</I>: he shoots Delta 3200 and Leica M on the streets

of NY.<P>Some nice work. Didn't have time to stand in the queue, so

can't say much more about the magazine, just a heads-up for anyone

interested.<P>An exhibition runs in <a

href="http://www.beauxartslondon.co.uk/AS-pic-index.html">Cork

Street</a> till 7 May. He also did <I>Light Work</i> with Ralph Gibson.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Critic and photographer are two different things. Many good photographers are terrible critics, many good critics are terrible photographers. Asking people to show their work before they criticize someone else is childish and pointless.

On the other hand, when people talk about technique, how good some piece of equipment is, these are times when it would be good to see someone's images. In this case, one has no reference. But that's completely different.

Comment on, William.

I tend to put more stock in what a critic says if he comes with some credentials, like perhaps some documented background with a publication or two, maybe a degree in an allied field, a teaching position, certainly a bit more than just showing up at the Leica Forum cold less than a month ago, overflowing with negativity. Andy seems like he can hold his own as a photographer, no apologies to anybody.

<I> We keep waiting to see some of the fruits of your photographic genius, William.</I>

<p>

Preston, unquestionably in a similar manner as I await to behold yours.

<p>

In regards to the photographs in question Preston, may I be so bold as too ask what redeeming or intriguing qualities you found in the images are or is this just a personal attack?

<p>

Jealousy? Bob surely you jest. I would also like to pose a similar query to you if I may. Which one of your emotions is most effected by said images or what do you find the most appealing? The flat lighting? The lack of regard to composition? Maybe it's the dizzying power of celebrity worship?

<p>

Jealos? Hardly.

I actually was working with Andy recently, as he was playing in a new composition

premiered at Carnegie Hall with the American Composers Orchestra. We spoke about his

pasion for photography and his love of Leicas. He seemed very knowledgeable and

passionate. Totally approachable guys, a real sweetheart. He was experimenting with his

new Canon 10D, as his next trip was to Africa, and he was a little tired of dealing with all

the film. As I watched him struggle with the Canon, he stated "Maybe I will take my Leicas

after all"!

best,

Jeffrey

"He was experimenting with his new Canon 10D, as his next trip was to Africa, and he was a little tired of dealing with all the film. As I watched him struggle with the Canon, he stated "Maybe I will take my Leicas after all"!"

In the article, he doesn't sound like a fan of digital at all.

And I really like his photos.

John

<I>Not surprisingly</i><P>William, why were you not surprised?<P>Because you don't think someone who was in a popular beat combo can do photography? Because he's in <I>AP</i>? Or Cork Street? Or because he uses a Leica M? Or because I posted it, and posted it on this forum?

Todd...first, get your monitor adjusted. On mine (a fairly pricey affair actually), the images for the most part display fine contrast. As for the subject matter, some of the street scenes are as good as anything out there...and dare I say far, far better than anything I've seen come from yourself. Oh...and thirdly, it appears at least the man can spell.

Gentlemen,

<p>

It appears as if there has been a misunderstanding, whether the fault lies with my communication or your own lack of comprehension or mental capacity is irrelevant. Though nowhere in this thread or any other have I established myself as a 'shooter' as you all happen to be. Nevertheless I do make use of and have an interest in Leica equipment though my main interest in photography is that of a collector.

<p>

Ian, the reason I was not surprised was that I notice that a very insignificant amount of celebrity 'shooters' are proficient at producing work of interest and that my beliefs are contrary to others here that seem to be enamoured every time a celebrity is seen with a Leica.

<p>

I find Andy Summers work no more interesting or engaging then that of Bryan Adams, Linda McCartney, Leonard Nimoy, Jeff Bridges, on and on. In fact the only celebrity whose work I find myself intrigued by is that of Dennis Hopper. So persecute me for not enjoying his work or gaining an equivalent amount of satisfaction as you. As an aside my comment had nothing to do with you or this forum.

<p>

Bob, if one can judge a man by occasional spelling errors then certainly one can judge another by the cliched stereo typical nudes that one produces in his home studio. Also as mentioned earlier I am not masquerading under the guise of a shooter as some salesmen here are. Additionally I can assure you that my Cintiq 21UX is more than adequately calibrated.

<p>

Preston, I did browse your site prior to stating my last comment, thank you.

<p>

Gerald, I have to disagree. I find selected works in this forum and in the Street and Documentary Forum far more interesting than what Andy Summers is doing, some of your own included.

<p>

One thing I did find most intriguing is the amount of comments aimed at myself for not appreciating his work as opposed to comments actually concerning Andy Summers work.

<p>

Respectfully,<br>

Bill