Polaroids for Pre-Visualization

<p>Hello everyone,<br>

a somewhat stupid question, but I'm wondering why - in the digital age of smartphones and DSLRs - some photographers working with medium and large format - are still using Polaroids for pre-visualization (I'm thinking of Philip-Lorca diCorcia for example).</p>

<p>Thanks in advance,<br>

john</p>

<p>When I was using 4x5 cameras, I always took the shot on Tri-X negative film and on Polaroid Type 52. Not really for previsualization, but for</p>

<ul>

<li>insurance - you knew you had at least one image</li>

<li>and because the tonal range of the Polaroid Type 52 was unparalleled in any modern negative medium.</li>

</ul>

<p>When Type 52 went away, not to mention the disappearance of the 4x5 film pack, I went to fine grain 35mm. Today, we hardly ever use anything for scientific data recording except digital.</p>

<p>For years after auto-exposure and autofocus came in, many professionals who had developed intricate work patterns, continued to be all manual (as some still are). The pros are often the last to adopt anything really new.</p>

<p>As someone who shot a lot Polaroid when shooting 4x5 transparency film, I can tell you it is a lot easier to see what is or isn't working in a photograph when you have a tangible image in front of you rather than an upside down dark image on a ground glass. Even today's much improved DSLR camera screens aren't as good for me, but they cost a lot less, and you don't have to wait a minute or two to see them.</p>