Polaroid Back For Old Calumet

robin_benson

<p>Would anyone out there happen to know what kind of polaroid or instant film back would work in my old Calumet 4x5? I don't actually know what the specific model name or number is, but it is one of the old metal monorails with the gray bellows. If anyone happens to know of a good back, I'd love to hear your thoughts or experiences!</p>

<p>You should be able to use any 4x5 Polaroid back with this camera--I think it has Graflocks, and big enough springs to allow loading Polaroid backs behind the ground glass. If I were looking for one now, I would get the Model 405 which takes 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 pack film, still made in B&W and Color by Fuji and available at B&H and other retailers. While this is not full 4x5 size, it is much cheaper than the single sheet Polaroid film that is only available as outdated product or the 10 sheet pack film versions from Fuji that cost a lot more.</p>

<p>Robin -<br>

With Polaroid effectively dead and buried your options get reduced.<br>

I believe that Fuji makes two types of instant film both as pack units.<br>

You can use 4x5 pack film in either the Polaroid 550 holder or the Fuji Instant Holder PA 45.<br>

(Or you can use 3x4 pack film in either the Polaroid 405 back, or medium format instant film backs. I realize this isn't 4x5, but included it here for the sake of discussion.)<br>

The 545i Polaroid holders you can find on ebay are useless today. That's why they are cheap. I have two ‘cuz I didn't understand prior to buying them. Arghhh.<br>

If your Calumet has the rotating back and the lever that moves the ground glass away from the camera rear, you can slip in either of the above film holders, just like a sheet film holder.<br>

You'll find the 'proper' holders today have become rather pricey items.<br>

If anyone else has additional info, please chime in.</p>

<p>Jim M.</p>

<p>I have an old Calumet monorail with no idea of the model number, there's nothing printed on it that I can tell. I have the PA-45 Fuji back for it. I need to unscrew the ground glass a bit to let it fit in there, but it fits fine once you do. I also have a Polaroid back 405 back and it's the same thickness.</p>