Polaroid 95 series converted to pack film

I have recently been converting Polaroid 95, 95A, and 95B cameras to

use 600 series Polaroid pack films. The prints are very crisp, both

in color, and B/W. The cameras are big, old fashion, and very

stylish. They are great fun to use. I find the "EV" numbers for

exposure can be used without a light meter, but not reliably. Is

there a modern light meter that will include the "EV" numbers either

1-8, or the 10-17 ranges of later models such as the 150, 800 etc?<div>00Cxze-24793184.JPG.b62cfdf0047b3efbed11a29324ac02fa.JPG</div>

Jason:

Could you please post some photos from this conversion. I am terribly curious as to the quality of the lens in this camera.

Would you know by any chance if this lens will cover 4x5 format. I have done same as you to a 110A, but not for Pola film, for regular 4x5 film.

These cameras, especially the model 95 are super-retro looking and I would like to attempt one modification myself.

Thanks,

Jason,

Now that I think of it. I have a Polaroid selenium light meter with exclusively EV values and of course, ASA selection dial.

Maybe you can find one on the auction site, or if I find it, I could ship it to you. It was working last time I looked at it ( that was long time ago).

Let me see if I can find it.

I have converted a 95 to 120 roll film. I used to shoot 4X5 in it, ocassionally, which can be done with no modification whatsoever. You only get a 3X4 image, though, as that is the size of the film gate. And,it will only hold one sheet. The 95 uses a series of numbers on the shutter, which determines varius speed/aperture combinations. The numbers have nothing to do with the EV system, nor are they linear. I have the data that interprets what the numbers on the 95 actually mean, in terms of real speed/aperture combo, if you need this info.

I have one of the old polaroid EV meters, it's really small, attaches to the accessory attachment on polaroid cams. Mine is very accurate(compared to other meters). At one point I bought one of those cheap $5 LUX meters, and made a chart to convert the LUX readings to EV, complete with Aperture settings, and exposure times. Still have the XLS file.

My minolta incident light meter had an EV mode. I am sure many incident light meters share this feature.

BTW I occasionally search for and find interesting patent related to photography. There are a series of patents describing how to convert Polaroid rangefinders for other uses. See, the following US patents.

Patent US 6,778,772 entitled "Method of making a coupled rangefinder/parallax 4x5 camera" issued 2004-08-17 filed 2003-06-09.

Patent US 6,873,794 entitled "Coupled rangefinder/parallax 4x5 camera" issued 2005-03-29 filed 2004-08-16.

Patent US 6,608,971 entitled "Coupled rangefinder/parallax 4x5 camera" issued 2003-08-19 filed 2002-03-11.

The following patent publications have much the same contents US20040013422A1, US20050013607A1, and US20030133704A1. See, USPTO or Delphion for contents.

Jason,

Yes, I think my old book "Polaroid Land Camera Guide" (or similar title--not the Ansel Adams book) contains a chart deciphering what the 1-8 and 10-17 Polaroid numbers equal in terms of f/stop and shutter speed.

I will email that info to you.

--Micah in NC

Hard for even me to believe but I happen to have a Model 95B instruction manual.<p>Page 15 has the following chart---<p><p>#10 = f/8.8 at 1/12 sec.<p><p>#11 = f/8.8 at 1/25 sec.<p><p>#12 = f/8.8 at 1/50 sec.<p><p>#13 = f/8.8 at 1/100 sec.<p><p>#14 = f/12.5 at 1/100 sec.<p><p>#15 = f/17.5 at 1/100 sec.<p><p>#16 = f/25 at 1/100 sec.<p><p>#17 = f/35 at 1/100 sec.<p><p>Hope this helps somebody out. I don't think these numbers relate to the EV scale on any meter but the original Polaroid meters.

The numbers on the 95B are real EV numbers. The numbers on the 95 represent the same exposures, but are 9 lower. So they are EV-9.

The lenses on the simpler Polaroid cameras are just sharp enough for the "contact" prints they produce, and the modest resolution of the Polaroid film materials.

Jason,

I didn't get on the 'Net this weekend and Steve beat me to it. I have emailed you this additional info on the Polaroids...

Steve's Polaroid exposure numbers chart applies not only to the 95B, but also to the 95A, 100, 150, 700, and 800, according to my old "Pictures In a Minute" book, 3rd ed., by John Wolbarst. (Some of those cameras I mentioned here use the range 1-8, as you already know).

For the original Model 95 (no -A or -B appendage), the chart reads:

#1 = f/11 at 1/8 sec.

#2 = f/11 at 1/15 sec.

#3 = f/11 at 1/30 sec.

#4 = f/11 at 1/60 sec.

#5 = f/16 at 1/60 sec.

#6 = f/22 at 1/60 sec.

#7 = f/32 at 1/60 sec.

#8 = f/45 at 1/60 sec.

So, that tells me Polaroid used a faster shutter in the later models of 95 cameras. (Probably a good thing given the focal length of the lens, even though it is a large format setup.)

This book also notes that the original Model 95 was discontinued in 1954 and that it could've been factory converted to the Model 95B, if requested.

--Micah in NC

• 13 years later...

Not sure if anyone of the current or future generation cares at this point, but I can back up the statements above, that the Polaroid 10-17 thumbwheel 'index' numbers do calculate to be EV (based on ASA/ISO 100). 'Index' is my term as I couldn't think of something other than EV at the time.

If you reference online the APEX formula that can be used to calculate EV=AV+TV (simplified), Exposure value = Aperture Value +Time Value. There are other offsets for film speed, luminance and meter reflection constant.

For example,

The 10 setting on a 95B, 150, 160, 800 etc. which has f/8.8 and 1/12 second parameters, calculates to AV = 6.28 and TV = 3.58. Sum gives EV= 9.86

For "17", f/35 and 1/100 second give AV = 10.26 and TV = 6.64. Sum gives EV = 16.90.

I figure this out every couple years in a spreadsheet for some project but leave the ISO offset for other film speeds for later, as I invariably add when I should subtract...& have to triple check my spreadsheet (& correct it).

I really like the EV system...you can assign an exact AV number to pinhole apertures that aren't conveniently in the preferred number series, as well as TV numbers for old shutters that had the (mostly) 1-2-5 sequence, or sluggish shutters you have actual measured speeds for.

If you do any of that kind of thing anymore...IMG_20190404_182427.thumb.jpg.f478f1907c902167f15d6d0677838161.jpg

Murray