Polaroid 545 holder fits Deardorff 4x5 special?

david_gagnon

I'm considering getting a Deardorff 4x5 Special, and had a question

concerning the 4x5 back accepting the Polaroid 545 holder. My 8x10 to

4x5 reducing back had to be modified by removing a portion of the

wood so that the holder would fit against the wood panel and be light-

tight. The 4x5 Special back that I'm referring to is not the one that

is on a turntable like device. This is the one that is removed from

the camera and rotated before being reinstalled on the camera. Any

help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

DG

• 4 years later...

I know this is a really old thread but I've just discovered that I have the same problem. I purchased a 4x5 Deardorff special. It's essentially a 5x7 camera with a reducing back and the 545 Polaroid back can't sit light-tight in the back because of the inch or so of timber around the back-holder..

I bought this camera partly at least to shoot 4x5 Type 55 film. If anyone has another back for sale, or an idea on how to make it work I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Jon

Jon,

If you want to use that back with a 545 holder, I believe it can be made to work by removing the wood that it in the way. I never did buy a 'dorf Special, so I still haven't seen one in person, but with some careful measuring, you can determine how much wood needs to be removed, remove the 4x5 back from the 5x7 back "frame" by removing the screws from the rear of the back. Then you can set up a router table (or have a woodworking friend do it) to remove the wood that is in the way. I used stops that I clamped onto the table so I couldn't go past the area that I wanted the wood removed from. On my 8x10 to 4x5 reducing back, IIRC it only needed about a 3/32" recess for the back to slide in and seat properly.

If you surf eBay for Deardorff reduction backs, you should find an older one that this has been done to. I believe that the newer ones (1960s and up?) were made with more wood on the 4x5 portion of the back, making it thicker, thus allowing the 545 holder to fit light-tight.

Hope this helps! DG