Polaroid 500 back, film options

jaydesi

<p>I just got my first large format camera, it's a Cambo rail camera, but I'm not sure what model...I couldn't find anything on it that indicated the model. That's not really important to this question. It also came with a Polaroid 500 back (and some film, which is long expired and is no longer any good, the developer won't spread). I understand that with modern instant film, it won't "catch" when I pull the envelope out to make an exposure, so I just have to be careful to not pull it too far. My question is, I am not sure whether the Fujifilm FP-3000B B&W 4x5 or the Fujicolor FP-100C 4x5 instant film will fit/work in this holder. Will it? Freestyle only has these two 4x5 instant films; are there any other suppliers with a wider selection?</p>

<p>I did do a search here, and most of the threads that came up were nearly 10 years old, so I didn't know how reliable they'd be.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The Polaroid 500 back was a "film orphan" years ago. Even the 50-series films didn't work in it. There's no film available new that works in the 545 back either.<br>

The Fuji 4x5 films fit in a Polaroid 550 back. (Or the equivalent Fuji back.)<br>

The instant film market is almost dead.</p>

<p>I'm not quite sure you're correct about the 50-series films. The expired film that came with the camera and back were 55 and 57, and they both would have worked fine if the developer wasn't dried out.</p>

<p>Why won't the films I mention above work in the back? Won't they fit? Won't the film pull out when the sleeve is withdrawn?</p>

<p>Since I really don't know a whole lot about large format, I'm not sure about backs that fit one camera vs another, so at this point, I'm reluctant to invest in a different back if there's some way I can make mine work. I really only want it to check exposure and such before using sheet film, since I only have a handful of holders and taking several exposures to make sure I get one right isn't really practical.</p>

<p>The Fuji 4x5 films are not individual sheets like the Polaroid films. They are oversize versions of the film packs. The 500 and 545 are film orphans.<br>

From a quick online read, the clip in the bottom of the 500 back isn't really compatible with the late production 55 and 57 films.</p>

<p>If memory serves, your model 500 is the ancestor of the later 545 and 545i Polaroid backs. I remember getting one as a loaner from a repair service when my 545 was being fixed. If you simply want to check exposures and can be content with not seeing the entire 4x5 image, I would recommend finding a Polaroid #405 back. This will take currently available Fuji 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 pack films, which will be the cheapest alternative for fresh film. This back is thick, but should fit under the ground glass unless your camera is ancient. If you remove the ground glass, look for sliding locks (Grafloks) that would hold the Polaroid back in place if it is too thick for the springs on your ground glass back.</p>

<p>you call the 545 back a FILM ORPHAN<br>

is that only as far as instant film is concerned<br>

OR are there conventional films that will fit and work in this holder?<br>

My remainin 4 x 5 p/n film dried out over 20 yeqars ago<br>

but I still have the back and the cameras.<br>

I also have a polaroid pack back but for a tektronics oscilliscope<br>

not a speed graphic. </p>

<p>In North America, soon there may only be just the 100 speed color film available in 4 X 5, the FP100c45. <br>

Production and/or distribution to North America of all b&w versions in 4 X 5, has ceased. </p>

<p>There is still some existing shelf stock of the 3200 speed, b&w 4 X 5, instant pack films from Fuji, FP3000b45, but when those existing stocks are gone, that may only leave the 100 speed color in 4 X 5 pack.</p>

<p>In 3.25 X 4.25, there are still three versions available on the shelves, though it seems that production and/or distribution of the 100 speed b&w, FP100b, instant pack film, has ceased in the smaller size, soon to leave only two films; the 100 speed color, and 3200 speed b&w, in this smaller size.</p>

<p>So, future availability will be two (2), in the 3.25 X 4.25 size, and one (1), in 4 X 5 size;<br>

FP100c, 100 speed color, and FP3000b, 3200 speed b&w, in the small size,<br>

and FP100c45, 100 speed color, in the 4 X 5 size.</p>