Polar Bears around Churchill in November

stephen_york3

<p>I need some advice, being new to nature photography, and for that matter, new to SLRs, having shot rangefinders for the last 15 years. Next November, I'll find myself up in Churchill Canada with the Polar Bears on one of those Tundra Buggies. For a long lens I'll have either a 400/6.8 or 350/4.8. Do you think the 400mm lens is too slow, bearing in mind that I'll probably need to overexpose by a stop? I shoot film and I'll have no problem shooting 800 speed. Thanks in advance.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>FYI -- I read Doug Herr's post from a 2007 discussion that the 400/6.8 lens I'm considering, because of its' old 2-glass design, is really like a f/5.6. I'm not sure how that could be, but it that's true, I'm only dealing with a 1/2 stop difference between the two lenses. </p>

<p>Does anyone know the quality of modern super high speed film -- 800 or 1600? My maximum blow-up would be 8x10 and do this all just for fun, so I'm not going to jump off the roof if I see a little grain.</p>

<p>Here's one my wife took in Churchill a couple of years ago. Digital. ISO 400 1/800 5.6 using a 500 mm lens with 1.4 extender with a full frame DSLR. She used a bean bag most of the time. You will need pretty fast shutter speeds: if there's lots of people in the buggy there may be movement. Have a great time. Good luck seeing bears and getting good images. </p><div>00Tu4D-153385684.jpg.1747f1de6e1d252144553b08b4e69a6f.jpg</div>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I have no comment on the lenses, but wanted to jump in - being a Manitoban. <br>

You are fortunate to see the bears at Churchill. Though I live in Winnipeg it is far too expensive for me to travel up there, though I would love to. It costs as much for a person from Winnipeg to go there as it does to go to the heart of Europe - I've checked. It's a shame that part of my heritage here is out of my reach.<br>

It's been in the works for years to actually build a road that will take you all the way up there, but currently there is not such road, and no large carriers fly there. Nonetheless - have a fantastic time, and show us what you get.</p>