PocketWizard Plus II - opinions, advice...

grego1

Hi everyone,

after using Canon's ST-E2 transmitter, i'm finding it insuficient for my needs. I regullary shoot on location and don't

want to carry big bulk of equipment, so everything has to be portable. I have two Canon's 580 EX II flashes, normaly

they mounted on stands with Lastolite's Hot Shoe Eazybox. I used to use umbrellas before and I didn't have any

problem with triggering flash... Since I changed brollies to softboxes it looks like there is a problem with

communication between ST-E2 and flashes and in most cases I can't trigger my flashs... I believe that's because

flashes' sensors can't see the light impulse from transmitter... I think solution for my problem is radio trigger/reciever.

Regarding that I want to ask you about your experience when using Pocket Wizards. Two main questions: Can they

work in ETTL mode or just manual (I can't find any info about using them in TTL)? Did anyone used them in similar

set up (doesn't matter Canon or Nikon)? Thanks in advance for all your answers.

regards.

Greg

As Matt said, Pocketwizards are for manual flash only. If you are being paid to get the job done, PW's are the ONLY way to go. They work in all situations, under high EMF conditions (e.g., near the Sears tower), and around corners. If you go cheap, be sure to have a list of excuses for your clients.

"(doesn't matter Canon or Nikon)? " - it does matter. Canon E-TTL is supposedly easier to clone by 3rd party

vendors, while Nikon seems invalidates the vendors' reversed engineered efforts with each new relese of DSLR

model.

You might want to lok at Radio Poppers for Canon flash system, - not sure what else you can do beyond looking

there, but you may not get even that lucky for Nikon system usage there.

• 2 weeks later...
Pocket wizzards will not allow you to use ttl. Alien Bees has a new trigger which is excellent called the cybersync and has a 400ft range and will go through walls and obstruction. JTL has a light called the jtl mobilight or something like that which has a build in packet wizzard receiver and comes with a Quantum compatible batter pack for $269.00. Get your seld a C-stand with wheels strap the battery to the stand for stability get one PW transmitter to fire JTL strobe use the 580 as slaves to the JTL and away you go.