Pocketable spot meters?

<p>If you are talking about a narrow angle spot meter then you will probably not find a very small one. The narrow angle meters like the Pentax and Minolta units have some kind of viewfinder so you can see exactly what you are metering off. I have an old Sekonic L-206 meter which needs some work but which is small for a spot meter. The Canon mechanical SLRs like the FTb/FTbN/F-1, F-1n, FT QL have 12 degree spot metering. The Cosina-made Olympus OM2000 has spot metering but I am not sure what the angle is. My old Mamiya 500DTL has a spot setting as does my Mamiya MSX500. The Canon F-1N changes its meter's angle of acceptance by changing focusing screens from the S (Spot or 3 degrees) series to the P (Partial or 12 degrees) series to the A (Averaging) series. The Nikon N90S has Spot, Center weighted and Matrix metering modes. SOmetimes it's easier to use in-camera spot metering. If you are using an SLR and can find one which accepts your lenses and has spot metering then that would be a start. </p>

<p>There are 2 vintage spot meters that I know of that do fit in a pocket. I have (and use almost daily) a Bewi Zoom-Spot (zoomable spot meter, goes to 1 degree); the other is a Minolta 3 degree View Master 9 which I have also owned and used. Both are somewhat rare, take batteries that are no longer made, etc., but they are both dependable and accurate meters.</p>

<p>Probably won't find a second hand one but I recently bought a Gossen Digisix for a light carry in the pocket meter, and it is just perfect for that.<br>

Very small and light and has a built in thermometer and stop watch to boot...highly recommend.<br>

Whoops, just noticed that you want a spot meter, oh well, guess you can get in close with a Digisix and meter one spot...</p>

<p>The only pocketable 1 degree spot meter that I know of is actually a new product. Check out:<br>

http://meteredlight.blogspot.com/<br>

If you are OK with a less precise meter, look for a Seikonic l228, which will zoom in for a 8 degree view. It's not very good for dim areas, but great outdoors. I think it originally used mercury cells, so you may want to calibrate it with a known meter.</p>