Pocket Wizard reliability help.

<p>I want to start some off-camera flash experimenting and I want to purchase Pocket Wizards so I need some help please.... Do I have to buy 2 exact same units for them to work? I am looking into the Plus II versions instead of the tt1 or tt5, is this the best way to go? Also, can I use the Plus II with a 430 EX flash, or do I need to purchase a 580 EX flash too and softbox/umbrellas?<br />Thanks<br />Miller</p>

<p>You don't necessarily need two of the exact same units. There is some cross-compatibility, and some equipment has receivers built-in. But you need one PocketWizard to use as a transmitter on your camera, and one to use as a receiver on your light. The simplest starting way to trigger one light with basic sync would be to get a pair of PW Plus II units. Those can work both as transmitter and receiver, so you'll put one unit on your camera's hot shoe, and connect the other to your light with a cable. If you want to use multiple lights, get another PW Plus II for each light.</p>

<p>The PW Plus II units only support basic sync. They don't support TTL. Some find this to be limiting, others don't. Personally, if I'm taking the time to set up my lights off camera, I usually can find the time to adjust the power and/or f-stop manually, so I don't find it to be a big problem. If you DO need TTL support, look into the FlexTT5 and MiniTT1 units.</p>

<p>You will need the Mini TT1 and Flex TT5 PW's for TTL with the 403 EX. The other PW units (one transmitter and one receiver) require the x-sync connection on the flash, which only the 580 EX II has (not the EX I or 430 EX) and manual mode/sync operation.</p>

<p>I have both a 580 EX and 430 EX which i trigger through PW Plus II. It works fine with both the but as Scott said you will need a mounting hot shoe on the 430 EX because it does not have a PC Sync port (I think the 430 EX II may have one but i'm not sure). PW Plus II does not support TTL if you want to operate your flash in TTL mode you will need the Mini TT1 or Flex TT5. </p>