pocket camera?

I think this is more or less the right forum for this, as I'd like to limit this

to film (rather than digital) cameras for the time being.

I've used pretty much nothing else but my Autocord for the past 6 years or so.

I love it dearly but it's not the kind of thing you can just stick in your

pocket and wander around with all day (unless you have really big pants).

What do you all use as your carry-around pocket camera that you take everywhere?

I do have a little purple Kodak Vanity folding camera for 127 film that would

almost qualify, except that it doesn't really have many adjustable controls and

wants to chew up film as it's being wound.

Just curious...

Some of the pocketable cameras I have used. Foth Derby (16 on 127), Retina I, Retina II (Folding 35mm), Olympus Trip (Original), Olympus 35 RC, Zeiss Ikonta (16 on 120).

Favourite was probably the Foth Derby but these days I would take the compact folding Retina I (or Retina II if I fancied using the rangefinder).

My "everyday carry" camera is a 1930's Zeiss-Ikon Nettar 515, the 6x4.5 member of the Nettar line. It's perhaps fifteen percent larger than a Retina, but still fits easily into a jacket or coat pocket. The Klio shutter does 1-1/175 second; the Nettar Anastigmat 7.5cm lens is f/4.5, excellent in B&W, and good enough for snapshots in color (both of mine exhibit some very minor chromatic aberration - hey, they're Anastigmats, not Apochromats).

With 100-speed B&W film, it serves it's intended purpose admirably; add a yellow filter and a lens hood, and you're set. :)

Not quite in the classic category by date, but a classic of a sort, would be an Olympus XA or one of its variants. My pocket camera of choice is an XA2.

I also just got my injured Rollei 35 back from the repair place (a worn cocking cam needed replacing). That's my second-choice pocket camera. With the retractable lens, quirky meter, and manual controls it's no point and shoot, but it is certainly pocketable.

I should also add that before they were vastly expensive and rare, back in the 60's I carried a Leica with a collapsible Summar lens, wrapped in an old sock. Also quite pocketable!

I'd second the recommendations of the Olympus XA (a wonderful little fixed-focal-length rangefinder) or the more modern Olympus Stylus Epic, it's obvious 90s successor.

Both are extremely compact, rugged little cameras. If I time to spend in a darkroom, one of the two would probably still be in my bag more or less at all times, loaded with Ilford. I've owned both in the past, and they're still available from eBay for about $50.

Unfortunately, my only "darkroom" these days is on my laptop, so I have to drop $300 every year or two on a much less rugged "toy" P&S camera to keep around for candid and street shots.

Lately, my small camera of choice has been either a Retina IIc or IIIc, an Agfa Karat 36, GIII-QL17, or most recently a Canon 110 ED20. I've yet to get the film from the ED20 developed, but the others all produce beautiful pictures and help to preserve my love of film alongside my use of my digital gear.

Andy

The Olympus XA is sure a practical choice. Mine has a beat up case, so I don't care about further pocket damage. Just avoid shooting wide open with slide film -- it vignettes noticeably.

The original Vest Pocket Kodak Autographic (scissors bellows) are quite compact, and if you get a better "focusing" model, you get a good lens and wide range of f-stops. Still only 1/25 and 1/50 shutter speeds. There's a much rarer model with Compur shutter with a full range of speeds. They are very dense however, surprisingly heavy. I've toted it in the belt loop case, but you know it's there all the time. You can load your own rolls of 46mm Portra 160NC into old 127 paper/spools, if you have a friendly lab to process it. Very large negatives.

I'm currently playing with a Canon 110ED as my backpack camera, but it's not a very practical choice, probably. Heavier than the Olympus XA anyways!

I am always in search of that elusive great good pocket camera. It used to be the Minolta 16. but the film issues shelved it. Now if I am just grabbing a camera as I run out the door, it is the Minox B, Rollei 35, Instamatic 500, or Pentax Auto 110. The Pentax does not have a locking shutter, though, and goes off in my pocket quite a bit. The Agfa Isolette is another one you might look into.

Hello. I am in the same position as you. I used to have a Flexaret, very nice camera but bulky and heavy. Now I use a nettar 515/16. Tiny for the negative size, and more than adequate novar lens. I also own an iskra, super-sharp lens, quite shutter, but very heavy. I am looking now for a retina or karat or perhaps a 6x4.5 folder.

Olympus XA2. Not a classic by the definition of this forum but I don't worry about such things when it comes to camera choice. It's a cheapened version of the XA but still has a good Olympus lens and, to my mind, handier 3-position zone focus. Exposure is auto but you can trick it by changing the ASA lever.

Hi, Eli Interesting post, mate. Bearing in mind the limited availability of film formats today, unless you still happen to have a couple of hundred reels of 127 or 620 hidden in the back of your fridge, I guess we're realistically looking at either 35mm or 120.

Your other prerequisite of "pocketability" means not only compact but reasonably light. My definition of "light" means you could accelerate from walking to jogging, without endangering bodily appendages.

AGFA made some very nice and compact folders in the 50s that would fit your bill. So, for 120 in 6 X 6 I'd go for a late-model AGFA Isolette 111 with f3.5 Solinar and Synchro-Compur, rather than the heavier and pricier Super Isolette or ANSCO version thereof. OK, so the RF isn't coupled .....

One of the other guys has mentioned the Record 111 for 6 X 9 format, but the trouble here is these are relatively rare - and therefore expensive - when fitted with the better f4.5 Solinar and Synchro-Compur. I had to fork out quite a lot of dosh just to get the lesser configured f4.5 Apotar with Prontor version.

For 35mm, I don't think you can go past the Super Solinette. It's amazingly light and compact, plus packs some really nice features like CRF, f3.5 Solinar and that Synchro-Compur shutter again. If you're in the US of A, you might prefer to go for the identical ANSCO Super Regent, which came off the same Munich production line but got a different badge. For reasons presumably of snobbery, the ANSCO-labelled versions usually sell for less.

As with all post-war AGFA folders, be very careful of pin-holes in the bellows. Their Stuck or Sticky Green Grease is another problem, but not so difficult to sort out with a bit of patience. ~~PN~~

• 2 weeks later...

Olympus XA in my jeans' pocket, a spare Ilford XP2 in the other pocket. No camera bag, nobody throw me as much as a glance because I look like (and sounds like) a typical tourist snapping pictures with a plastic disposable. Perfect street-photography arsenal.

Now if only I can find someone who can fix my Olympus Pen D2, that little darling will be a serious contender to my trusty XA :)