PN Mind Bogglers

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5. People who ask for advice before using the Search function, which yields pages and pages and pages of the very topic they're looking for

6. Queries about such complex concepts as Av or Tv, things clearly explained in the manual for their camera.

7. Requests by wannabe "pros" who want someone to explain from front to back how to run a successful photography business.

Shay,

In defense, I have only posted one picture in my time on PN. Why? I have no means of scanning photos. I do not (I will NOT be assimilated) own digital equipment.

I have been developing and processing and printing since I was 14. I'm almost to my 50's. I own a rather nice 35mm system with multiple bodies and lenses, a rather well thought of MF system and a LF camera with many lenses. My darkroom consists of multiple enlargers, automatic processors (PhotoTherm and Ilford) and semi-automatic (Jobo), as well as all the nifty manual equipment.

So, I guess you can add this to the list:

General Statements.

-- "3. People that claim ... great understanding with no photos."

Actually, this point is at least misleading. Understanding something has exactly nothing to do with uploading images.

Same applies in principle for your point 2.

I believe point 4 should be more emphasized.

I agree with James. I joined in 1998 but didn't post any images until 2006 when I bought a

computer system for photography. I was a film photographer who shot slides and printed

through labs. So you never know about them and their photography.

Mind bloggers? None really because we all ask the innocent questions which produce a

multitude of reactions - although we can only read the verbal ones and not see the faces

looking at the terminal when it was typed. And we all ask the obviously stupid questions

because our brain slipped a synapse or we weren't totally awake. It's hard to criticize until

you know the person and circumstances behind the questions.

Although, there are moments when...

Here's one...people who fail to see the wonderful artistic merit in pictures such as http://www.photo.net/photo/1100067. I mean, Shay, that is one fantastic picture of one of those wonderful things that is so often not noticed as it's completely taken for granted. I was a bit worried before I clicked on the link you gave in case it was for a pimped up sunset with naked women and 200000 views...but when I saw it was Clifford the big red dog on his travels...well, I had to smile. This wonderful photograph therefore evoked some emotion in me so it must be a good one :)

Shay, Merely mentioning #1 and #2 on PN is like telling someone they have an ugly baby. It's what most of us think...but don't dare say aloud. So thanks for having a large enough "set" to bring it up. I'm surprised the post hasn't been deleted by now. There are of course, legitimate reasons why many people "can't" post photos,e.g., Scott. And for that matter I'm not in favor of requiring members to post photos before they can speak in a forum. However, if you notice... the only sarcastic remarks that have been made in this thread are by people who (guess what)...post no photographs of their own. If you want to tell me my photographs are mindless, empty, technically abysmal pieces of crap, but I sense that you're offering constructive criticism...and you haven't posted any of your own work, I have no problem with it. But if you just want to be rude and arrogant...I'll ask to see your work everytime.

They are just bogglers folks, no need to take offense.<br>

1. http://www.photo.net/photo/1100067<br>

2. People that have been on here for years with no photos.<br>

3. People that claim fame or great understanding with no photos.<br>

4. People like me who post usless posts.<br>

5. People who ask for advice before using the Search function, which yields pages and pages and pages of the very topic they're looking for <br>

6. Queries about such complex concepts as Av or Tv, things clearly explained in the manual for their camera.<br>

7. Requests by wannabe "pros" who want someone to explain from front to back how to run a successful photography business.<br>

8. So should I wait for the Canon 5D Mk II?<br>

9. One Post Wonders <br>

Shay

not a useless post but food for thought My pet peeve is people that ask what equipment should they buy next, that always gets me. It's a bit like asking what beer do I like or where should I live. As to posting pictures it is a qualifier, it gives creedence to what you say. Right or wrong on this site it is the only way to qualify what you say. If you talk the talk then walk the walk.

Steve

I gotta admit that the dialogue on that 'Clifford' photo is pretty darn funny. The actual rating is not important but I do see a lot crappier stuff around here every day garner much higher ratings without being even a tiny bit funny.

I think at top of the list should be those folks who post " I'm going out to shoot weddings or landscapes or whatever . What camera should I buy ? a Nikon or a Canon? "

"what do you think" falls into the category of other annoying phrases as "vegetable medley" or "wintry mix"...or my favorite - when referring to an infant child whose name is, let's say...Nathan...as "baby Nathan". then there are those local TV news anchors who have to kill a bit of time with "happy talk". mindless chatter with inappropriate laughter that is as embarassing as it is lame. you've got me started Shay...it's all your fault....

When people start new threads just beacause they bought something.

"I just got my 70-200 VR and it's brilliant"

Congratulations to you, your e-penis is now this large <-------------------->. Enjoy it before someone who just bought a 200-400 VR creates a new thread.

Just because you've got the latest and greatest doesn't mean you're the best. You wouldn't call yourself a rockstar before smahing the guitar into the nearest speaker becuase you just beat your buddy's score on Guitar Hero, would you?

Bad example, but you get the idea I suppose.