PN 2.0

michaellinder

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>My post was in no way intended to be critical of Glenn and the tech crew. I can only imagine their frustration level at this point.</p>

<p>I was invited to take part in the beta test about 1 year ago. I visited a few times quite early when there wasn't much going on there, then I forgot all about it. Later, my access no longer worked and I made no effort to regain it. Thus I don't know how much feedback was given, and more importantly, listened to and implemented. What I do know is that a lot of things don't work properly in V2.0, either because they are not possible by design, not implemented (yet or at all), or just bugs that need fixing.</p>

<p>I can't recall seeing many posts on the "old version" as to what was going on with V2.0. If there was indeed a lack of communication, then that's certainly something that can be taken care of now with the 2nd go at V2.0.</p>

<p>Wouter made this observation (that certainly applies to me as well) and the IMHO good suggestion in the "Back to 1.0" thread in V2.0:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Maybe a bit a problem with the beta period (at least for myself) is properly sitting down and hunting down issues, quirks, bugs and so on after a day of work isn't really going to happen. It's more like a quick look around to understand where things are heading. Not sure if it is possible, or doable, but creating more specific scripts with a number of users, focusing on performing an activity/task, to describe the difficulties and problems in doing that. At least make it easier for those willing to give test feedback to report issues, some sort of simple webform where we can fill in steps, URL, what we tried to do and what happened and didn't work, so you get more structured results.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Note: one can't even properly copy and paste from V2.0 - it pastes as black on black. For the above, I had to go through wordpad first.<br /> Andrew had a similar experience to mine:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I had the invitation to review the preview. I tried it, there was little working and almost no content, so I deduced it was very early stages and, I admit, didn't devote much time to it. Had we been told "okay, we think we're ready - the preview has gone from alpha to beta" then I'd have tried it again. The first I knew of the actual switch was when we were committed.<br>

Glenn and other admins have my complete support for doing a hard job - I'm not cross (though I am paying for membership, so I'm not happy) but I would like the situation resolved, preferably not by simply patching individual issues on an unknown timeframe. Sticking fingers in the leaky dyke may seem the priority, but the dyke seems to have been made of sponge.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Kudo's for rolling back to the 1.0 software. While it appears visually dated, I'll take functionality over eye candy (2.0 site) any day of the week. Perhaps keep things as they are forever and save time and money trying to 'fix' not only the 2.0 bugs but it's overall design flaws. If it ain't broke.....</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>With all due respect, "TRYING" offers little solace to users. V2.0 either works, or it doesn't, and if it doesn't, then there is no justification to use it. </p>

<p>An analogy that comes to mind would be jumping out of an airplane then 'TRYING' to fix your parachute on the way down. Good intentions are not a replacement for good results. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Andrew, you might have forgotten that almost all of us considered 1.0 as broken and not fit for purpose.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>Please</strong> speak for yourself. I didn't find anything broken with the 1.0 forum software. I'll speak for myself; the current product is fine as is. If the power's to be want to spend time and money making 2.0 as functionality equivalent as 1.0, fine. If they can't or decide it's not worth paying for, 1.0 is fine with me. It ain't broke. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>I think I just woke up from a bad dream; nightmare in fact !</p>

<p>You won't believe what was in this nightmare:<br /> I was dreaming that for three days, our <strong>purist</strong>, <strong>minimalist</strong>, and <strong>beloved</strong> Pnet website, was taken over by the webmasters that ran the Obamacare website...<br /> Oh boy it seemed so real, I had tears in my eyes as I woke up from it...</p>

<p>Reminds me of a boss I once had. At the Monday morning meeting he would task everyone with identifying a problem and offering a solution. I have to say, my little corner of that world had no problems and ran smoothly, any issues having been worked out long ago. Still, I had to spend time invention problems and offering solutions. These companies, banks, libraries, just about any company with a web site must have crews on payroll just sitting around inventing "improvements" just to justify their existence. </p>

<p>Glenn, thanks for the effort on 2.0 on a holiday weekend, just shut the computer down and take the rest of the weekend to relax. <br /> That aside, I have to confess that I did not beta test 2.0 although some private conversations have revealed that the input as to the bugs and features lost were not taken seriously enough? I will now however make sure that I will make lists of features to keep and things to improve.<br>

<br /> And finally, I just exported my gear list to PDF so all my 15 years of gear history is now safely tucked away incase this is a feature we will lose when 2.0 is ready for prime time.<br>

<br /> 1.0 is indeed super smooth and easy to figure out. Yes, it can be improved, but we should not lose the incredible archive of information or the ability to access it in the name of flashiness.<br>

<br /> Thanks again, hopefully the next go live will be much smoother and reflect the changes that the community actually wants.</p>

+1 for what Mr. Bayer indicates.

I do have back-up of my images but, currently only a phone and small Tablet as my only

access to the internet.

Until now, I had forgotten that all my equipment is listed here! Time to get out the Pencil &

Paper!

Thanks for bringing this to the surface Daniel.

<p>Also a +1 for what Daniel B. stated. - <strong>I salute the person</strong> who made the final & difficult decision to "pull the plug" on <strong>v2.0</strong><br /> Maybe next time instead of giant leaps, the next versions can be in baby steps; PN <strong>v1.01</strong> - <strong>v1.02</strong> etc...</p>

<p>Hello All - I know that many of you are seasoned veterans and know your way around this site. However what you may not know is that new users come to this site and leave us feedback like the ones you see below. Additionally - <a href="/info/2013_survey_summary.pdf">surveys done in the past</a> with over 500 participants of mostly seasoned users were seeking a full site overhaul: <br>

<em>Example of recent email from new user experiencing 1.0:</em> Sorry but this site is the worst most user unfriendly photo site I have run across. It's programmed like a school kids project on programming. Is ashamed because you a lot of great info on this site. Please visit any other photo site to get ideas to leave the early 90's and enter the 21 century.<br /><br />I give up</p>

To be clear...the "I give up" comment was from new user, not me.

<p>The old version has problems with Safari browser, the log in window locks and crashes the application. I used Sea Monkey to log in and write this (don't have Chrome or Firefox browsers). And the old version uses the old password. The new version didn't recognize the old password and changing it wasn't recognized by the old version. Or at least, that's my experience.</p>