Plustek 7600i test report in Shutterbug

Discussion in 'Digital Darkroom' started by alan_rockwood, Aug 31, 2010.

1. This evening at the bookstore I read a test report about the Plustek 7600i in Shutterbug. The review was extremely favorable. The author claims to have extremely wide experience using 35mm film scanners from all major vendors and essentially all models from these vendors, and he claims the 7600i to give the best image results. This does not seem to square with some other review. Any comments?

2. I hope it's true. I like my 7300 considering the low price, but it is not quite good enough for the size prints I want to do. I've been hesitating on the $2K sort of Nikon scanners, because, well, $2k is a lot of dough. What did they compare it to?

3. I don't have the article with me, but he said that over the course of many years he had used virtually all of the models of film scanners from virtually all the major manufacturers, and the 7600i made the best 35mm scans he has ever made on any scanner. I was a bit surprised by that statement, but that's what he said. (As I recall he also said that he had an older Plustek of a different model that was defective in the i.r. channel.)

4. Another test of the 7600i.
    http://www.filmscanner.info/en/PlustekOpticFilm7600i.html
    It doesn't look so positive in their tests.