Plume Wafer front diffusers yellow quickly?

ken_yee

<p>Picked up a used Wafer softbox and was surprised how yellowed the front diffusion panel was given how people love this softbox. Any idea how long it takes to yellow and how much color cast it can add?<br>

BTW, don't ever put the two inner diffusers in...weird dark spot slightly below the middle because they end up hanging low instead of centered :-)</p>

<p>Ken,</p>

<p>I can't answer your direct question since I've never owned a Plume Wafer, but a recent experience makes me wonder if you might have gotten this from a heavy smoker.</p>

<p>I just bought two 16x20 soft boxers (Calumets) from an ebay seller and when I opened the box , it almost knocked me to the floor. The stink of cigarettes is still there after three launderings although it is fading. The front panels, however, are not returning to their clean new whiteness. They are staying slightly yellowed. and I'm satisfied that it's the nicotine.</p>

<p>BUT, I'm not terribly concerned for two reasons. One, on film this will just mean a slight additional warmth to the image.....a plus, sort of like an 81A filter. On digital, the white balance will be set on auto and it will cancel any color cast unless I prefer to set it to use the cast as in film. Win Win!!!</p>

<p>I bought a used Plume box about a year ago; the front diffusion panel was noticeably yellowed; not sure exactly how it was used in the past. Replaced the panel, and it still looks like new.<br>

Wanna' know *why* people love this box? First, the build quality is outstanding. The crinkle finish on some boxes feels more like heavy paper; the Plume boxes have almost a leathery feel to them. They're definitely made to last a lifetime. Second, the unique diffusion panels give you a couple of options, creating a very diffused light. My Plume box is easily half the depth of some older boxes, so it's a space saver - I can work it into configurations that I simply couldn't do before. Third, they make a speedring for every major manufacturer, so it's nearly universally compatible.<br>

And finally, if and when you DO need support, you'll find that Gary's customer service is second to none.<br>

I'd LOVE to see an indirect box from Plume, similar to the Elinchrom Octa, Quadra or Recta.</p>

<p>Tim: I'm actually wondering about the smoker thing too though it surprises me that photographers could be smokers (the dust from the smoke would get everywhere and bug the crap out of me). There was a strange smell to the plume but it didn't seem like smoke. The front diffuser did seem to have a sticky residue on it which might be tar so I wiped it down w/ a damp paper towel. Did you just stick it in the washing machine on the gentle cycle w/ some bleach? I didn't know you could wash a front diffuser.<br>

Jerry: it does look like it'll last a while, though I have an AB foldable (putting a speedring on the Plume is a PITA in comparison) and that seems well built too (maybe not as much but I thought the outer layer would be more cheapy than it is). The depth difference is obvious (probably 1/3 less deep than the AB Large which is the same size as this Wafer 100). The inner diffusers I'm not sure why you'd care about as long as it evens the lighting on the surface of it (you're supposed to choose the best one that does this according to the instructions). <br>

Any good tests to show how a Plume is better than others for lighting? I guess I expected more from the mystique associated w/ the Plume Wafer name :-)<br>

BTW, I did ask Gary Regester about the yellowed front panel and he said:<br>

"It is the UV output from the flash tube that deteriorates synthetics - mine, Photoflex or Chimera. As example, Wafer or any box used with a flash with a UV blocking / absorbing pyrex will yellow much more slowly than if used with a flash with a bare tube or clear pyrex etc.<br /> I suggest that five years is the expected life of my front diffusers with relative heavy use."</p>

<p>Yes a Plume Wafer is the best softbox out there, the light is so even with a properly mounted inner diffuser and the box is so shallow that it give you more placement options compare to other boxes.<br>

Yes using non uv flashtube the diffuser yellowed, Once I switch to all UV tube in my Profoto and Dynalite the yellowing seems to happen after longer usage. <br>

Smoking is not great for photo equipment whether softboxes, lights or lenses.</p>