PLEASE HELP SHOOT IN 1 HR. D1h aperture lever always f22

andrew_gale

Ok, so I have a D1h that I got yesterday from KEH and plan to return on monday if this cannot be fixed. but for now I need to use the camera.

Most of my lenses work since they are AIS and I can set the camera to any aperture manually. But, my 50mm AF does not work. It will

focus and I can take pictures with it. But here is the issue. No matter what the aperture setting on the camera, the lens always goes to

f22 when the picture is taken. If I press the DOF preview, it goes to 22, always. If I move the aperture, i get the fee error warning and cant

take a picture, but if I leave it at 22, it always take the shot at 22. Im shooting in a dark non lit environment and 22 is way too slow.

Please help. What I will do if nothing better come along in an hour is to cover the contacts on the camera inside with tape so the lens

seems to be an AIS.

Thanks for your speedy response.

<p>There should be a tiny slider switch next to the aperture ring, probably marked with an orange or reddish line. Be sure it's slid to the locked position when the lens is set to f/22. This is the only way some Nikons will meter correctly with that type of lens. Same with the 50/1.8D AF Nikkor on my D2H, and every other AF or AF-S Nikkor with an aperture ring (G lenses excluded - no aperture ring to be locked).</p>

<p>With these types of lenses once set up correctly the aperture is adjusted via the control dial on the camera body, rather than via the aperture ring on the lens. This applies to manual, aperture priority, shutter priority and program modes.</p>

<p>With manual focus lenses (AI, AI-S types, Nikkor or third party), the aperture ring works normally. Set the camera to manual or aperture priority mode.</p>

<p>Yea, im done now and will return it on moday for a hopefully working one (maybe in better shape too.) The problem is not the fee warning. Its that every picture is dark, unless I meter for f22. Normally there is a lever just inside the mount that holds the lens open, until you hit the shutter and then it drops to allow the lens to stop down, but only so far. My seems to just bottom out every time, then displays "err" on top. I get a almost all black picture and nothing else. If i change the aperture from 22, it wouldnt be black, but i would get fee, and no pictures allowed.</p>

<p>I taped over the contacts so the camera thought that it was an AIS lens. This works fine, but I lost AF and shutter priority. A bit annoying because I bought this camera to shoot sports but more importantly a dance concert where the AF would have been nice on the quick moving dancers. And I had to use that lens since its the only one i have that goes to 1.8.</p>

<p>yea, I made sure the lens was at f22. again thats not the problem. it definatly is fine when the lens is mounted and doesnt display "fee"<br>

Im pretty sure this is a mechanical problem.<br>

Im going to return to KEH anyways. This was not what I expected. I really like KEH, and normally their stuff works well, but this is a bit beyond normal testing and i dont blame them. It had some other problems so even befre this i was wondering if i should send back.</p>

<p>"If I move the aperture, i get the fee error warning and cant take a picture, but if I leave it at 22, it always take the shot at 22."<br>

"it definatly is fine when the lens is mounted and doesnt display "fee""</p>

<p>So, just to be clear...</p>

<p>You set the lens to it's highest f-stop number; f22 and lock the little lever. Then you change the aperture IN THE CAMERA, not on the lens to the desired f-stop and the shot is still taken at F22 ? Because you are supposed to LEAVE the lens alone, once you mount it. Moving the aperture ring WILL give you the FEE error. It's supposed to. Put the camera in shutter priority and let the camera change the f-stop and see what happens, as a test. The DoF thing has me wondering, however.</p>

<p>Yea, i mounted the lens, then left it alone.<br>

I tried A, S, P, and M. All give me f22, no matter what aperture is selected by me or the camera. DOF as well.<br>

Back it goes.<br>

Ive discovered other problems:<br>

No connection to computer; no LCD backlight; eyepiece ring cracked (works fine); really hard to turn front dial.</p>