Please help - 120 film issue

I have a Yashica 12 and there's a knob at the bottom that locks the film door closed. Either I didn't lock it, or turn it far enough, or somehow knocked it loose because when I went to unload the film I noticed the film door was closed quite all the way. This resulted in the following:

36296358204_e00b03e42d_b.jpg

36734622570_72efe65631_b.jpg

So I'd look at the light seals around the door/film back. Or maybe something is slightly bent and not sealing tightly

There is exactly one light seal in a Hasselblad back-it is in the dark slide slot.

I suspected that this might be a Hasselblad for a couple of reasons, but the apparent light leak is also consistent with a failed light seal.

Fortunately, seals are easy to change yourself. They're $10 or so on Ebay. They come in two parts-a piece of foam and then a piece of mylar that surrounds it. The trickiest part is getting the foam "tucked" into the mylar. All said and done, it's probably a 20 minute job.

I picked up a couple of backs not too long ago, and I changed the seals in them before putting them into service. It's simple and cheap preventative maintenance-and certainly at least as cheap as shooting a roll of film.

• Like 1

Thanks Ben - ordered the seals - this should help - latest roll has a similar problem

Hopefully that will help.

When you open the back, you'll likely find that the foam has lost its "sponginess." With the light leaks you have, it wouldn't surprise me if you find torn mylar also.

IF the mylar is torn, I'd suggest also taking a careful look at the dark slide and seeing if there are any bends or burrs on the end that are damaging the seal. Actually, this isn't a bad idea in general. Run your finger along the leading edge and it should be smooth. If there's only a light burr or other problem, you may be able to polish it out, but ultimately replacing the darkslide also is good insurance. I think David Odess says on his website that he replaces nearly every one on every back he services for this very reason.

BTW, I'm glad to see that my Hassy isn't the only one that gives "tilted" images on the film :) . That was one of the other things that made me think you might be using one.