Playing with Adobe Enhance-Super Resolution with 5D MK IV RAW

Mark Keefer

I am doing this on a PC with the latest Adobe Lightroom Classic and Latest Adobe Photoshop. It seems a bit clumbsy to work with, but I can take a RAW 5D MK IV file and edit in Photoshop, when PS opens the file it will use Adobe Camera Raw.

From the menu I select Enhance1293992174_Enhacetool.thumb.JPG.c469ec08c76d9d50087f63fcdfc683e8.JPG

And I select Super Resolution. I am only seeing double screen resolution. (Not sure if there is a way to get 3x or 4x,

possibly this would exceed the size limit and that is why I see no other options?)

1052645731_EnhancedPreview.JPG.662e594803330b18c839cc0b0963e94b.JPG

This does a nice job. Here is a clip from the original file at 100%:

6528766_Regular2.thumb.JPG.ad3f6bd7b96c79844b769a994f4085f4.JPG

And here is the Super Resolution version, it does a pretty good job on my 5D MK IV raw files retaining detail.

283562964_Enhanced2.thumb.JPG.f6a1823d573cef68579c284a6bbe7c72.JPG

This is a nice feature and could come in handy if you need to make large prints. Has anyone else tried this. I would like to see your results, especially with older cameras and with lower resolution cameras and hear your thoughts.

• Like 2
Cheers, Mark

SJ, No worries on the brand. So from what I understand, this isn't a bicubic upscale of a photo, it is upscale using machine learning. The software is figuring out what needs to be in the increased pixel space. In your case, you essentially can make good 24 megapixel images from a 6 megapixel camera without having to buy a new higher resolution camera. You can make much larger 300 dpi prints.

I have been dreaming of a camera with 50+ megapixels for years, but I have avoided it because of cost. Now I know this doesn't really make my 30 megapixel 5D MK IV sensor into a R5, but this software impresses me and can allow me to produce images with a medium format resolution.

I hope Adobe will make this feature work easier from within Lightroom, as it is, the work flow is awkward having to edit externally and get it back in Lightroom. But I have read this will be implemented in Lightroom soon.

I almost feel like I have a new higher-end camera.:)

• Like 2
Cheers, Mark

• 3 weeks later...