Playboy Lighting?

<p>What is Playboy's lighting techniques? I've seen behind the scenes and from other accounts that its a few back lights with 10 degree grids on the body/hair, then a front with a large softbox or ringflash. Then gels, like CTO gels. Does the softbox face have CTO gels on it?</p>

<p>www.fyhglamphoto.com</p>

<p>How does he do his lighting?</p>

<p>Well, it appears you want a short cut to learning your craft, I don't think there is enough site here to explain each of the different looks and years of experience and technique displayed on www.fyhglamphoto.com<br>

The trick is to learn to "read the light" by dissecting each image of interest and determining the type of source - the position of the source - and the power of the source relative to the others. By reading each image you will soon have a good idea of what technique was used during the shoot.<br>

Take a step back and think about what your original question entails in the form of an answer.<br>

You probably don't realize the photographers are first and foremost 'problem solvers' and I suggest you become a little more proactive, as there are few easy answers or shortcuts.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>His lighting isn't complicated. There's a lot of rim or back light in many cases with a broader, softer light in front. He may or may not be using gels since it's so easy to change color temperature in the camera or in a RAW converter now.<br>

You should also learn a lot about retouching if you haven't already. It's as important as capturing the image these days. Playboy has its own requirements for retouchers.<br>

As a side note, I like his photos, but not his website... worst web design I've seen in awhile.</p>

<p>Well, the average image I can see has 6-7 lights to it. Some background rims, hair lights to it. A light for the background. The front is something very soft, perhaps a softbox or umbrella. But does he pop the face with a grid or a zoom spot/fresnel lens? That's what I'm trying to figure out, since its so soft.</p>

<p>Your on your way to reverse engineering the look's involved - yet I feel your looking to a template solution. Each situation is the result of 'solving problems' associated with the model and the environment. Standard front light and rim lights aside - simply grab your lights - set them up and learn your craft.<br>

You'll soon discover that it's not rocket science - and you must learn for yourself how to create these effects. </p>