Plastic A-M Selector Ring Broken

samuel_lipoff

<p>The plastic ring that is used to select between Auto and Manual focus on my Nikkor 28mm f/1.4 has split, and so the metal button that engages to lock the ring in the A or M position no longer engages.</p>

<p>The lens still works fine in either auto-focus or manual-focus mode, but it can slip from one to the other unexpectedly, and sometimes (albeit rarely) get caught in a nether-region where the AF screw is not engaged, but turing the MF ring doesn't adjust focus. I have actually been using it this way for a while now, basically without incident, but I keep meaning to have it properly repaired. I don't want it to get worse, and the cracked ring is probably not the best for keeping the inside of the lens dust free.</p>

<p>I gather this is a not-too-uncommon problem, given that this is the only weak part of an otherwise indestructibly designed lens series. I am wondering what the experience of others has been having this problem repaired. How long did it take to repair? How much does it cost?</p>

<p>I am a little nervous to send such an expensive lens in the mail to Nikon, and to be deprived of my favorite lens during a few possible trips this coming month. On the other hand, a local camera repair shop quoted what seems like a very high price (~$200) for the repair, and they are notoriously slow as well. If the whole lens needs to be disassembled to replace this ring, maybe it's a good opportunity for Nikon to clean the inside of the lens and make sure everything is properly aligned. Or rather, since the inside of the lens is quite clean and it is already properly aligned, maybe I'd want Nikon to take the responsibility to put it back together the same way!</p>

<p>Would be grateful for any thoughts.</p>

<p>Uh, I think this lens sells used for about $2500? In that context, $200 is not a high price to pay, especially if "the whole lens needs to be disassembled to replace this ring". I would, however, send it to Nikon (properly insured) as they may be more likely to have the necessary parts, and stand behind their work. (I don't know your local guy.)</p>

<p>The breakage of the A/M ring is a common issue with a number of Nikkors, the most infamous examples are the 200AFD Micro, and the 70-180 Zoom-Micro Nikkors. I've seen a number of such incidents with 85 AFD and the 28 AFD too.</p>

<p>The collar design is flawed and from a user's point of view, the worst is that the ring will break due to material fatigue even though not used at all :(.</p>

<p>I can't say enough good things about Nikon repair service in El Segundo. Not only do they work quickly and professionally but they go far beyond what your local repairfacility will. They repaired this very problem in my 80-200 F2.8. At the same time they replaced the tripod mount and CLA'd the lens. They did it and returned it to me in two weeks very carefully packed and insured. </p>

<p>I will not comment on charges because I do not know if your lens is more or less but I believe your local estimate is in the ball park. Nikon also warrantees the repair which is nice. </p>

<p>You bought this lens for its Nikon quality. Why trust that to some local repair guy? He may be super but with Nikon you KNOW they know how to do it properly. </p>

<p>I had the same problem on 80-200 f/2.8 AFD twice. On the first occasion the lens went to a local camera repair shop and I got it back with a hefty repair bill. When it happened again I made two turns of the black plastic adhesion tape around (over) the ring to immobilize and fix the broken ring in the A position where it was 99% of the time anyway. I use "fixed" lens on AF Nikon camera for about two years now without problems. Not a very nice solution but very cost effective one.<br>

Regards, Marko</p>

<p>In my case, my 200mm/f4 AF-D macro is gray market so that I had to find someone else other than Nikon USA to fix it, and Authorized Photo Service near Chicago did a fine job, but their repair cost is not cheap. Mine failed about 7 years into my ownership so that any 5-year warranty would have long expired anyway.</p>

<p>I've a AF 80-200mm f2.8D Nikkor: the little ring has a split. The un-pro fix was a bit of black gaffer's tape over the split, along with another two small pieces of tape to hold the ring in place. A $200 savings....until it is time to sell the lens.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I've got the same problem. Same lens, same broken ring; same gaff tape temporary solution. This month or next, I'll bite the bullet and send mine off to Nikon for a replacement. I use the lens a lot and it generates quite a few of my keepers: it would be foolish not to buck-up and fix it.<br /><br />But, yeah, $200 seems steep. (sigh). Oh well. Sometimes we gotta pay to play. </p>

• 10 years later...

I know that I started this thread 10+ years ago, but it happened again! The $200 repair only lasted ten years. My local repairmen can't find any replacement parts and Nikon says that they stopped repairing this lens in 2015. But I think I have found a better replacement: a metal ring.

If you search Google for "New Metal Nikon M-A M/A Ring for Nikon AF 28 f/1.4 D Lens" you can find an eBay seller in Hong Kong who sells these, for about $100 each. Not cheap, but with a metal ring this shouldn't happen again.

My AF 80-200/2.8 D N (two-ring with collar) had this problem where the A/M ring stopped working. Nikon repaired it for free. They didn't use the standard parts but the tech used different parts to make the fix not have to be repeated again. I have a number of other Nikkors with similar A/M rings and they have not broken yet.