Plants

Discussion in 'Macro' started by michaellinder, May 3, 2021.

1. palm tree
    0013a Shape-Lío-Enrevesado-PelosBarbas-Palmera-CanonSX220HS.jpg Canon PowerShot SX220 HS

2. Taken in Elk Grove, CA, 26 December 2018 @ 11:02 AM
    Nikon D750 1/2500 sec, f/13, ISO 640 (Auto) Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro VC USD F017N Range: 0.56 meters

_DSC0354_20181226.jpg

This a a two-for image. If you look at the circled area (full-size), you will see a small green spider. Perhaps I should also post under "Insects"? :) I did not notice the spider until I processed the image at 1:1 in Lightroom. Nice lens the Tamron.

_DSC0354_20181226_Spider.jpg

3. What qualifies as macro in this forum, is it just a photo taken with a lens that has macro written on it?
    CactusFlower_F4653-621 (1 of 1).jpg

4. GC, is your question intended to be satirical?

cameragary and Gerald Cafferty like this.
  5. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Frankly, one of those curious arguments which I sidestep by not labeling a photo as anything in particular. Here is a good cut at the description of a macro.

The classic definition of macro photography is that the image projected onto the digital sensor (or film plane) should be the same size as the subject. With a 1:1 ratio, a DSLR with a full-frame chip should be able to produce life-size magnification and focus on an area as small as 24x36mm. Lens Reviews

6. Michael, it was more rhetorical than satirical. But as you have answered I do have a problem with some of the posts in the "Macro Forum".
    The definition supplied by Sandy is the usual one referenced , but expecting 1:1 is may be a step to far. My most used lens for close-ups is only 1:2, surely some attempt at close focus is needed or what's the point.
    BR...............GC.

cameragary and bgelfand like this.
  7. Interestingly, JDL’s photo is 130 times the size of JDM’s (13MB v 100 KB) but the resolution looks the same on PN.

8. Smugmug changed the way they link photos and I haven't done so for a while. I think I have it now, but sorry for the huge image

9. Having trouble uploading file.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
  10. Backlighting, anyone? tomatoes999.png

luis triguez likes this.