Planning a trip to Europe and in need of a camera backpack

jenniferlpoole

I recently returned from Paris where I spent nine days. The trip was pretty last minute so I didn't have

enough time to buy a nice camera bag. I instead had to use a small backpack with t-shirts and sweaters

covering my gear. It worked but it was miserable to carry, everything kept poking me in the back and

nothing was balanced.

I'm now planning another trip and I have enough time between now and when I leave to shop for a new

pack. Can anyone recommend any small camera backpacks? Most of the ones I've seen so far are gigantic

and I'm really tiny (5'1) so I don't want anything that's going to weigh me down.

Thank you!

Jennifer, you don't say how much camera gear you are taking but my guess is fairly little. If so, check out Lowepro's MicroTrekker 100....

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Micro-Trekker-100,1962,14.htm

If you need a little more room, they also offer a MicroTrekker 200.....

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Micro-Trekker%20200,1963.htm

A backpack in parts of Europe has a "steal me" look regardless of what it looks like. It's more important to be aware of your surroundings and move the backpack around front when it doesn't feel safe. The best thing is to look like a local. For example, in some of Europe, trainers (athletic shoes) aren't worn when out and about. I just came back from Spain, I didn't see a single pair of trainers except on people with American accents. Sure made them stick out.

To respond to your initial inquiry...I would ignore everything above. The problem is that backpacks (and shoulder bags) feel different to each person. What may feel fine for me may put pressure in just the wrong place for you. Go to the store, find something that feels good and fits your equipment. Or order what sounds good with 100% return privilege.

FWIW, I use a backpack (a LowePro Mini-Trekker, not that it matters) for transit between locations, but carry a camera bag in my luggage that I use for shooting.

I travel a lot with cameras. For me the best bag is a shoulder bag that is strung across my chest instead of just one shoulder. It's easy to work out of, and it's secure...no one is going to snatch it off your shoulder.

<p>

Backpacks never worked for me, but others prefer them.

<p>

I use a Lowepro Lynx bag that is discontinued. It's uglier than hell, but it's fast, light & comfortable.

I've only been to Europe a couple of times but I've got the dress down pretty well; Black,

no tennishoes, and cover anything that may come across as "STEAL ME," such as all the

CANON logos on my gear. But you're right, just about everything backpackish is prime

target. I've yet to have a problem though.

I live in Nashville so the only store around me that sells camera gear is Dury's and it's in

the worst part of town and has the weirdest hours. So it's pretty much out of the question

to go down there. I have to order everything online. I have a small canvas Domke bag that

works pretty well around town but when I leave the country I need something that can at

least carry my basic gear(one body, three lenses and a flash unit).

I think I may have narrowed it down between Tamrac Adventure 7 Photo Backpack and a

Lowepro micro trekker 200.

I agree with the shoulder bag approach. I have been to almost every single European country (I live in Greece anyway), and let me tell you, regardless of how well you have the dress code down pat, a backpack screams TOURIST and regardless of how well you hide your Canon straps etc, you'll be like wearing a massive neon flashing sign saying: exploit me! And let me tell you, they will. A nice, inconspicuous shoulder bag is probably your best bet IMHO.

Have you seen the Crumpler photo bags? They come in both shoulder and backpack versions, they look nothing like photobags, have a gazillion of various useful compartments, are fully padded and configurable for photo equipment, and they even come in varying sizes too. Plus, they have really cool names (i.e. Pretty Boy, Organised Chaos, etc)

The added advantage of a shoulder bag is that you can still keep it on you when you sit down for a coffee (a religion in most of europe), as opposed to the backpack, which you will have to take off.

Think about it.

I tried to find Dury's on Ewing but it isn't there. I asked around at the businesses that are

on Ewing and they all said they've never even seen it. I called the numbers at were on the

website but I never got any answers.The website seems to be all wrong. According to the

people at Wolf Camera it is now on Lafayette and has strange hours.

But anyway, I will definitely have to check out best buy. I never noticed if they carried bags,

but then again I haven't ever spent a lot of time in one.

I was in the same predicament, though my trip isn't for a few more months. Anyhow I only ever thought about buying a camera backpack made by camera bag manufacturers (Lowepro, Think Tank etc.) , until I found out that Snow Boarding/Skateboard apparel companies make them as well. I decided to get a <a href="http://www.dakine.com/sport-packs/photo/sequence/">Dakine Sequence Camera Backpack</a> It was more practical for me, since I wanted a pack to carry a sweater and some knick knacks. Not to mention, it won't cost me an arm and leg, and I can use that money on buying more film.

There's a review of <a href="http://www.wigglesworld.klebos.com/sports/snowboard/reviews/dakine/index.asp ">the bag here</a>

not to hijack this thread, but from what you guys are saying Europe sounds like a pretty uninviting place to be. I'm not planning on going there for a couple years, after college. But do i really have to worry about thieves trying to steal things right off my back and getting rediculously gauged?

Peter,

Europe isn't uninviting in the least, you just need to be aware of your surroundings a little bit

more than at home is all. I've only been three times and the worst thing that's ever happened

was in London; a homeless man grabbed my arm on the street, it scared me to death but all

he wanted was some change. Just try to look too much like a tourist, leave the american flags

and trainers at home and be smart. You'll have a wonderful time. I'm going to continue to go

as long as my legs will carry me.

<i>from what you guys are saying Europe sounds like a pretty uninviting place to be.</i><p>It has a lot of big cities. In general, I would say that the big cities in Europe that I have visited are far safer than in the US. However, there is a theft problem in any congested area. It's a great place, one Americans can learn a lot from.

Jennifer, Please be very careful with backpacks as they can be opened by other people behind you and you will have absolutely no idea as to what has happened until you go to retrieve a camera that isn't there; usually long after the event.

This happened to a travel companion of mine way back in 1986 in Cannes, France. They were expert then, they've had a further 22 years to refine their technique.

I would suggest an over shoulder bag that can be worn as a bandolier in front of you. Thats what I had and did. Still got the camera and lenses.