Planner Referral Fees

jay_maxwell

I've been approached by an event planner looking to refer me to their clients.

However, they ask for 10% of my package fee as a commission.

I work with 2 other planners who do not ask for a fee.

What's your experience regarding referral fees?

I would *think* that since their getting paid by their client ($5000 plus),

their "commission" should be a reciprocal referral by me to other potential

clients.

Wouldn't a client seem suspicious of a planner who only refers people from whom

she's getting a commission from?

I refer DJs all the time and don't get/expect a kickback...except for a return

referral.

If they bring me a job I would not have found without them I would pay the 10%.

I had a planner ask me for pricing and I bumped it up to include her fee.

Planners scare me a bit because I'm not sure if they convey my sevices and style clearly.

i think it bull_hit. this kind of thing imo adds dishonesty a bit to the industry. so and so is paying so and so off and then who are we or more importantly a bride to trust? i think your work should ultimately get you the job. many wedding coordinators are just bitche down to even trying to think "you" should pay them. maybe pay them to stay out of your way other than that don't do it. ever. let your work sell you.

Is it the Wedding Planner`s policy for full disclosure of fees and commissions to her/his clients?

In some industries and professions (where I live) full disclosure of fees and commissions is mandatory: which, arguably is how it should be.

If a client is relying on professional advice or referral, the client knows exactly what vested interests there are, and what there are for what they are being charged.

If this is not the practice of the Wedding Planner, perhaps, you might make it your practice and explain to the Wedding Planner that the `commission` will be invoiced to the client as a separate item on the bill: or in fact just do it.

You may choose to credit that back to the client so there is no effective additional charge.

I wonder how long the Wedding Planner will be in business, if you subscribe to full disclosure and they do not?

WW

Hi Jay,

I work with a wedding planning business and they are great - have had a couple of referrals that worked out well.

The wedding planners I work with are part of a UK Association. Part of their mandate (and promise to all potential clients of the Associations members) is that they DO NOT take commissions or kick-backs from suppliers.

Its seen as devaluing the individual "unbiased" stance of a wedding planner and stops the Wedding Planners picking the most appropriate venue/caterer/photographer/musicians instead opting for their stock favourites who give them the biggest back-hander!

Which I agree with actually - I'm not sure where you are based (US?) but I would be surprised if there isn't a similiar association with similiar rules of conduct?

I think they are after a quick buck and don't agree with it.

j

This question has come up before. Depending on the planner, it may not be a "kickback". Some planners are upfront and part of their fee comes from their referrals. There are also preferred providers that have other benifits from the 10% per job such as a listing with the venue website and referral book. I would suggest that you discuss your concerns openly with the planner and make your decisions from there.

Well I do not think this is a good practice BUT I did hear of a very reputable photographer that gave his planner a BMW! He leased it and said that it was worth it as long as she continued to send the work. So I think in the long run the planners do get paid to send clients to a business whether it is cash or not they are getting a kickback. I prefer not to work with planners though because of that reason, plus I want things MY WAY! Heehee just kidding, sort of.

where i work this is pretty standard we pay a commision for referals and get commisions back for sending referals

most industries has some sort of referal systems in place

nobody boycotts travel agents and they will push who ever is giving them the best deal that month.

A decent wedding planner even with taking referal fees should still only have good photographers within there listings, as

even with a referal the bride and groom still have to see the photos and meet the photographer and if they are bad the couple will bring there own and the wedding coordinator misses out on the fee

also ask the coordinator if you get a 10% fee for refering back to her :)

>>> where i work this is pretty standard we pay a commision for referals and get commisions back for sending referals most industries has some sort of referal systems <<< (DB)

The David Burness:

Are the commissions, for a referral, disclosed to the clients, thus disclosing any vested interest in the advice?

WW

I think not also.

I have done some destination engagements in that neck of the woods.

A very tight grip on the W&P market in a geographically niche area, some businesses have, I think.

Please do (let me know) when they are posted.

Very robust imagery.

Aussie (photographic) talent?

Nice part of the world where you are, the sailing is good too. Looks like a nice yacht. 45ish ft?

WW

• 2 months later...