Places to shoot in Connecticut

jeff_lundstrom2

Hey all, I need places to shoot! Seems like Connecticut is the forgotten

stepchild of New England. VT, MA, NH get all the attention! Does ANYONE shoot

in CT?? I'd like to generate a list of places to shoot in Connecticut/Southern

RI/Southwest MA for Nature/Landscape (especially shoreline shots).

Below is a list of places to start with:

Burying Hill Beach (shore) - Westport, CT

Eastern Point Beach (shore)- Groton, CT

Barn Island (nature preserve) - Stonington, CT

Stonington Point (shore) - Stonington, CT

Buttonwood Farm (sunflowers) - Griswold, CT

Bish Bash Falls (falls) - Mt. Washington, MA

Westerly, RI (shore) - just north of Misquamicut

Thanks for your input.

- Jeff

it's water: try Cornwall Bridge / Kent Falls park up on the Housatonic River. Go out at dawn when trout season begins and get the anglers silhouetted against the dappled light, perhaps with early morning mist rising off the water. It's a nice area... and although this strays from nature photography, Lime Rock is just down the road where the car racing sight lines are great with the hills in the background. Fall vintage classic is the most photogenic IMHO. Good luck and have fun.

Jeff,

If wildlife can be placed on the list, specifically ducks, birds,etc.

Quinnipiac River Marsh in North Haven Hamden, and New Haven is Great. Many different species of ducks, Osprey, Bald Eagles,and many different species of hawks. Lots of different areas for shooting also.

Also, in Hamden, Sleeping Giant State Park in Hamden (especially in the fall) is nice.

• 1 month later...

Hammonasset beach ought to be good... the beaches i know west of New HAven are not very photogenic as far as i remember; on the other hand, if you're into harbor shots Bridgeport harbor has a few places, and so do Stamford and (i think) Darien. New Haven harbor is mostly an oil-tank farm, a power station, and previous versions of the same.

does anybody know any place near Danbury or Waterbury where you can see enough sky to get any kind of sunset shots? i've been looking as i drive around, haven't found much... one spot on hwy 47, which is more trouble to get to than it's worth, i think.<div>00PWgW-44249684.thumb.jpg.cb07c57afc50da429dde3e968c6098d6.jpg</div>

• 3 years later...

<p>http://arenacreative.com/search.php?search=connecticut&match_type=all<br /> Here are the places in Connecticut I've shot so far, but also looking for more ideas. I've done a few panos in random spots with a nice view. I'll have to try Kent Falls sometime, with a good sturdy tripod. Been there a few times, prior to being a tog. Sometimes the best photographic opportunities are right under your nose, or just a 10 minute drive away. I miss a lot, I'm sure.<br /> If you want some really cool city/urban places to shoot with a model, or just skylines - try Hartford or BlueBack square in West Hartford center.<br>

Just use the buddy system in Hartford, and make sure to keep aware of your surroundings. Make sure to dodge those bullets :) I am not even kidding. I'm dead serious. Last time I was in Hartford, we were eating in city steam after the Riverfest fireworks and some gangsta gangsta started clapping his gat at a crowd of people, thankfully he missed. That was just outside the restaurant. I honestly feel safer wandering alone all over New York City, than I do in Hartford or Springfield.</p>

• 2 years later...

<p>You've been living in CT for almost six years now so I'm sure you could recommend some places to us. However I will add these:<br>

1) Meig's Point at Hammonassett Beach in Clinton.<br>

2) Gillette Castle in Hadam.<br>

3) Colt Armoury in Hartford (take a buddy as it's "closed")<br>

4) Bradley Airport in Windsor Locks.<br>

5) Connecticut Skydiving in Ellington.<br>

6) Yale has amazing architecture, New Haven. </p>