PK-11 or PK-11A Extension Tube for FM2n?

jim_chapman1

The difference between the PK-11 and the PK11a is relief in the ring that activates the aperture coupling lever in Nikon F mount lenses. This relieved or milled area in the PK-11a is for the benefit of lenses with electronic contacts such as AF, AF-D, AF-S, P and G lenses. The ring is inside the body of the extension tube and rides on six dry ball bearings. The electronic contacts of the lenses mentioned could or will be damaged and the lens may not stop down properly (I�ve never tried this to find out).

There are no issues with attaching either the PK-11 or PK-11a to any F mount Nikon camera that I know of. I�ve use both tubes with Nikon F4, F5, F100, FM2n and FE2 bodies. The PK-11a lacks the electronic contacts for AF lenses so features that depend on them will not be available with AF bodies.

Since there are desirable AF lenses that work nicely on manual focus Nikons I would recommend spending a little more and get the PK-11a tube. Then you will not have to worry now or in the future.

Hope this helps,