Pixels to Inches conversion chart

don't worry about this... get a crisp photo and you will be able to print a billboard. Afterall it is all about VIEWING distance.

In theory an 8x10 would require 8"x300=2400 by 10"x300=3000 pixels which is fine with a 6 or 8MP camera but you could print an amazing 24x34 if the photo is crisp and clean.... I have done great 16x20 prints with a 4MP camera.

The general requirement is 300... but 240 is more than enough if you get your photos printed by a lab. Today's cameras record just as much information as film did (oh no I'll start another debate on this subject)...

A lot of people are actually doing more damage to their photos by trying to hard in upsizing and by adding sharpening.

try this: over crop a shot... add more noise, turn to B&W and print a large poster.... when people ask about the medium: simply say that it is your artistic vision or that it was shot on film... :D

thank you.

So i know megapixels really mean nothing but what im mostly worried about which you touched on so thank you for that i assume the formula to use as a general thumb is x amount of inches times 300

your right though crispness does matter greatly.. Ive seen shotty 10 even 20 megapixel shots where 2 and 4 megapixel ones completely out beat it.

I've kept all my photos on the computer so far but I am looking to start some printing for family photos, i guess i should have mentioned this in my original post. I almost always shoot at 3264x2448

so I know i can get a good crisp 8x10 picture printed .. but how would it look in lets say a 16x24? from what you say, i gather that i should have no problem printing at that size, as long as original is crisp??

( i have the samsung pro815)

A long time ago i did get digital prints of just plain candid shots for fun with a resolution at 1024x768 and printed them out at my local walmart (of coures i wont be doing this with portraits!) on 5x7 photo paper and some came out clear some pixelated. though on the computer they were all crisp.

was that more so my shot (lighting, sharpness ect), walmarts part, my resolution, or a combination do you think?

Hello Andrea:

If you are curious about a larger print you can make a test crooping of a selection of the print and adjust the resolution (pixeles per inch) so you can have a preview of the large print... printing a portion of it.

Keep in mind that depending of the picture not always crispier is beter..