Pink Panther Special 4x5 Rangefinder Coupled

diwan_bhathal

After playing around with Pola 110 series cameras, I found that I

left them at home intentionnally. I needed something lighter, less

bulky and less complicated. The opening of the lens door and the

extension of the bellows and making sure that the front standard was

properly hooked on its stop peg were too many things for me to do.

Not to mention the rangefinder window in the 110A, which the only

effect was to leave me cross eyed. I decided to come up with a

solution for all of the above.

It is the "Pink Panther" special. It is a commemorative camera in

that the film of the same name is in theaters as this is written.

The film did not have too much success, this is more serious than

the movie.

This camera is rangefinder coupled, very lighweight, and more

importantly, has full 4x5 negative coverage. The rangefinder is

bright and clear, very easy to use. The camera focuses from 3 1/4

ft to infinity ( this is as seen by me, and only me, repeat: only

me ). I have shot several negs with it, and they were fine, no

complaints.

I will apply for a patent for this rangefinder accommodation and

camera configuration so do not ask me how it was done by no means

this is not to be done at home this is the prior art for this camera

and supercedes all other attempts and imitators of same by this

posting hereby clarifiying the evidence so for all purposes the

patent on this hereby and above camera is almost to be considered as

pending and in future progress when the paperwork is filed.

In this configuration, this camera accommodates Grafmatics only,

which is what I exclusively use. A GG can be adapted, but to do

fast photography it is not needed. The point of this camera is not

to use the GG, this is for view cameras.

This camera can be adapted to fit regular film holders. At present

it can also take all film roll holders and Graflok film devices.

Naturally, it is not fully "Parallax Corrected", but that will come

in the next version, the "Black Spider Special". After a while of

using the camera, one learns how to compensate for that. For close-

ups I recommend a view camera, those do a much better job.

The 110 model conversion was a brick for me, and got really heavy

after a couple of hours. That model is very nice, looks like a

professional camera, but I believe that this one does the same

thing, but lighter.

The "Pink Panther" has a tendency to fall off the camera when least

expected, I need to come up with some permanent way to attach it.

Not that it being not there bothers, either. Perhaps painting it on

the lens cap...<div>00FJ7R-28257084.jpg.ebc681ce6e18b2a250453670ea04070d.jpg</div>

Great stuff Diwan!

How much does it weigh (I took my camera to the self-service counter at the local post office and used their scale)?

Show us pictures, from the top and side, of the camera folded up.

Maybe a side-by-side shot with your Speed Graphic showing weight comparison?

Pico:

Thanks for posting the drawing. This drawing refers to models that originally used roll film. This drawing includes a parallax corrected rangefinder.

This "Pink Panther" is by no means parallax corrected. The rectangle in the viewer shows the user the direction that one should aim, but is in the worst position possible for a camera. Nevertheless, it works fine at medium ranges. As I said, if one desires a close up, better use a view camera with a GG.

This camera, the pink one, covers full 4x5, and uses a Rodenstock 127mm Ysarex. It focuses fine from close to infinity, and the results are identical to a similar type camera. This lens covers 4x5, so does the film.

Again, no, it is not parallax corrected, and moreover, the film holding back is of a new design, nothing to bear with other methods of locking the film holding device.

The greatest advantage of the pink one is that it is very lightweight. One should try the other model, carry it for a couple of hours, ...it is a brick! The door is a pain to open, and then one has to pull the bellows all the way to the locking stop. In the pink one, the bellows extend automatically and retract with no problem, no fiddling around. All this, of course, is only my opinion.

Also, on this one, focusing is so much better, as it is linear motion in the transverse axis of the lens. In the other model, it is done by turning a wheel on the side of the lens door, which effectively throws the composition out of place when focusing. Torque is applied to the camera by the mere fact of focusing, therefore inducing rotation of the camera. This is what I have noticed, others may not have had the identical experience,it is only my experience.

As to weight, well, some people like the feel of solid feeling cameras. That is fine for them, not for me. For quick shooting, if I may speculate, one needs a light camera, which is easy to open, easy to hold, and quick to focus. In mine, as mentionned, focusing is right at your fingerip, not on the door and on the side. One must have giant hands to hold the camera with the right hand and reach the focusing wheel at the same time... On the other hand... Some people are really strong and have powerful and big hands.

So, if one thinks of a really lightweight and quick shooter, not to be too heavy even when a Grafmatic is attached, and with same capabilities as any other handheld camera, this in my mind, is close to the desired design. Rangefinder is clear, and also takes all Graflok type devices, Grafmatics, roll film adapters, etc... There has always been a diversity in people liking different designs and looks. Please bear in mind that this is only my version of this.

One major disadvantage is that Pink Panther falls of the camera most of the time, it is difficult to keep it there... Nevertheless, this removes some of the total weight.

So that leaves the professional models open, The 180, 185, 190, 195 190 open, as well as quite a few others. Good as I am working on one of those myself. A 180 that is.

As far as guys building on existing camera frames and think they are doing something special, its been done to death by all sorts of people for a very long time and Littman is the only one see really gouging people for the product. That camera is worth $1200 IMO max if that and how much does he sell it for ??

All that malarky and all those threats are about his box between the lens and his 4x5 back frame. I guess the rangefinder too, but a paralax correction is a piece of cake if you know what you are doing.

I am still waiting for someone to do something really innovative, in the 4x5 hand held dept. Still to this day a Super graphic still rules although a bit heavy.

On the lawsuit end, I know someone that had a very lucrative patent pending product related to saltwater fishing. It was duped by a wealthy individual, and when he threatened to sue, guess what. The duper said go ahead and give it your best shot.

Unless the infringed is sitting on a pile of $ or a patent like the intermittent windshield wiper, they will get buried in a lawsuit.

Same thing happened with microsoft. Stole stacker, and by the time it made it to court microsoft had made so much $ off of it that it bought the stacker company outright.

Threats are one thing but unless you are an attorney or have a very valuable patent or deep pockets you will probably lose $ wise in the end.

Troy:

I think that you are correct in all respects. Nevertheless, Graflexes are also bricks, and I would like to know how one holds them all day long. I have one like that, and it is in its box all the time. But, some of them have mouvements. I would like to know many times does one use camera mouvements while hand held operation. If one likes to use mouvements, use a view camera, they are quite inexpensive and available.

Now the magic philosophical question: How about trying to patent Physics and Geometry ? The patent office has not been accepting patent applications for a long while regarding Perpetual Motion, since these pertain to the realm of the clinically insane.

Your other question: Some innovative design in hand held 4x5 instead of hacking mass produced items.

Well, first, please understand that most of us only have glue and a hobby saw. It is difficult to cut wood straight and to glue it at right angles. To make a bellows is the same effort as a Master's dissertation and to find proper materials in small quantities is an adventure by itself.

I would, and I presume that we all would like to see what you came up with your conversion/creation. This will be interesting to all, since it stimulates thought for innovations and improuvements. Please share with all your results, if you so desire.

This is not the place for litigation, this is the place for sharing experiences and the tools that we use in our hobby/profession, and it should stop at that. Patenting the science of physics seems to me like being quite a moot proposition. Not the place here for that.

Thanks.

Diwan Bhathal , feb 17, 2006; 02:49 p.m.

Nevertheless, Graflexes are also bricks, and I would like to know how one holds them all day long.

Big arms. Actually my super is not any heavier than my dlsr and a fast 300 or 400 mm lens. Its just way off center holding, non coupled RF, and shifting film and all that really makes it a pia.

A baby graphic is a lot more hand holdable. What we really need is one of those infinite focus lenses, zoom of course, with a huge viewfinder with a auto exposure and some 4" roll film !!

I have one like that, and it is in its box all the time.

I love my super graphic, but it is tough to hand hold.

But, some of them have movements. I would like to know many times does one use camera movements while hand held operation.

Probably never, but a graphic is sort of an all around press/tripod camera. I ran into some photos a while back that looked like he had a custom camera with back tilt pre-set and the RF adjusted to the center spot.

Now the magic philosophical question: How about trying to patent Physics and Geometry ? The patent office has not been accepting patent applications for a long while regarding Perpetual Motion, since these pertain to the realm of the clinically insane.

Ah haaa

Your other question: Some innovative design in hand held 4x5 instead of hacking mass produced items. Well, first, please understand that most of us only have glue and a hobby saw. It is difficult to cut wood straight and to glue it at right angles.

I am a hacker too. Right now I am retrofitting 2 contax lenses to a 35mm non contax camera, working on an a light 8x10 LS camera, building a bellows for my super and modifying it to back tilt, oh and the 180 polaroid. Too much really.

I did not necessarily mean you. Sorry. I meant more Littman who is charging an arm and a leg for for a very old camera and threatening people to boot.

To make a bellows is the same effort as a Master's dissertation and to find proper materials in small quantities is an adventure by itself.

Actually I have gotten into that too and finally got it down. Very difficult at first and not much easier after. Its easier if you can use autocad for the patterns.

I would, and I presume that we all would like to see what you came up with your conversion/creation.

I will post when it is set up or in progress.

This will be interesting to all, since it stimulates thought for innovations and improvements. Please share with all your results, if you so desire.

Yes i will. No big secret. I plan to mount a cambo back on the thing. I will probably mill it down a bit.

I already use a cambo gg and reflex viewer on my super graphic.

This is not the place for litigation, this is the place for sharing experiences and the tools that we use in our hobby/profession, and it should stop at that. Patenting the science of physics seems to me like being quite a moot proposition. Not the place here for that.

Agreed, but if Littman sees this he will be in here throwing his BS around.

Thanks.

Hi folks,

<br><br>As for a hand held compact 4X5 camera, I've made a pinhole

camera out of an old Graflex cut film magazine (predecessor to the Grafmatic).

Focal length is 40mm, f/256, the camera is really no bigger than a stack of film

holders. Some pictures of the camera and results <a href="http://justdai.com/

Images/temp/phcamera.html"> here.</a>

<br><br>Although the interior test shots were made with a tripod (testing out

angle of view, exposure, etc.), most of my shots with this camera have been

hand held. I load it with HP5 metered at 3200 - exposure is about 1/2 to 3

seconds in bright sunlight. Since it is a very wide angle pinhole camera, you

don't need a range/view finder... it's more like a point and shoot than anything

else.

<br><br>Dai.