front plate allowed me to take out the shutter mechanism and viewing

system.<br>     I made a pinhole from a piece of a

disposable aluminum baking pan and taped it to the flat surface on the

back of the shutter plate. Getting it all back together and shooting

the first roll of film probably didn't take an hour. The camera is

easy to use, and I'm looking forward to developing my pinhole

technique with it. Some photos from the first roll through the camera

follow.<div>00Ccw6-24267484.jpg.7456522c423b974c17223697b5cb58be.jpg</div>

Mike - and that's your back yard? Impressive to say the least.

<p>

Following Donald Quall's advice I scanned a pinhole today. This one proves to be 0.5mm and the other 0.4mm - it was nice and easy to see where the circle was out and to correct it immediately. I'll try it soon.<div>00Cd4P-24271284.jpg.920eb817e734697a827313094a7b9843.jpg</div>

These are marginally sharper, and probably about as good as I'm going to get with my pie plate and sewing needle technology. I think I'll stop here and work with this outfit for a while. The first ones were a little over-exposed, and these are a little under, so I feel like I'm zeroing in on the right combination.<br>     I'd like to try one of those laser-drilled pinholes, but the company seems to want a $125 minimum order, which seems silly as an accessory to a $5 camera. Maybe we could get together a group order?<div>00CdFj-24275184.jpg.3bfe797eb22b4b59fb8d39cd16ea9bc4.jpg</div>

I just got a Tower to do exactly the same thing but I can't see too many tabs to bend. The front plate looks like it was snapped on and everything else look spot welded. There is one tab on the bottom of the front "half" but it has spot welds either side of it. Any suggestions on disassembly?

Start by unsnapping the front plate on that Tower -- that's probably all you need to do from the front. The lens will most likely come out from the rear, retained by a simple wire spring ring in a groove (convex side to the film, if it's behind the shutter -- just in case you later want to put the lens back).

Sears marketed a lot of cameras under the Tower name. I believe mine was actually a German Bilora. I was able to pry off the front plate on mine and then found I could remove the lens mount with the tabs from the back of the plate. As Donald said, you can also probably get out the lens by removing the retaining ring from the front, but it is pretty stiff.<br>     The trick in converting a camera to retain the functionality of the shutter is to position the pinhole so that it is not too deep in a tunnel, which will vignette the image.

Thanks for the advice on disassembly. I decided to run a film through it first in case I trash it and never get another chance. It actually takes nice pictures even though the viewfinder is vile and it's impossible to compose well. I might just keep it and get another to convert to pinhole.