Pillar to Post

John Seaman

I think that those are the British equivalent of traffic cones, but I'm not sure. Technicals are really nice here, with great focus, exposure and great colors. I'd crop in closely on the cones, barbed wire and brambles and exclude the sturdy fence post. With that crop, then I'd title it, "Roadside Junk", or something along those lines. That change might make it useful in a journalistic story about municipalities contributing to roadside ugliness, or something like that.

I like the contrast of the steady fence post with the more strewn colored posts. There’s also a contrast from the sharp and disheveled foreground to the softer and more atmospheric and orderly background as there is from the posts’ bold primary colors to the landscape’s more muted colors. Still, the mundane content and subject matter don’t do much for me overall.
  • Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

I see the start of a good idea, with the progression of the red and yellow pieces in various states of falling over. But then there's the fencepost, and the background, and the litter - I'm not sure what you're getting at and I think you would have benefited by thinking this out more and setting up a more "edited" shot.
  • Like 2

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. The red and yellow tubes are certainly some kind of railway components, perhaps buffers? I agree the subject matter is mundane, but that's what I do - I like to find beauty in the most mundane and commonplace surroundings. I could have physically removed the litter but it would have left a bare area equally noticeable. Instead I toned it down in the final picture.
  • Like 1

My initial response is similar to andylynn's. I might be more engaged if I spent more time with it, but I have to admit it does not have a primary "hook" that pulls me in. The frosted weeds have potential, but they're clearly not the main subject, so I don't dwell there. As noted by others, technical execution is quite good. Sorry, I wish I had a more positive response.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
The 'fence post' is probably an old sleeper (tie for our American readers), being re-used in the best traditions of the British railway system. To me, its stability contrasts well with the slightly more chaotic items on the right, and the frost encapsulates the steadfastness and reliability of volunteers keeping Heritage Railways alive in all weathers.
  • Like 1