pictures at craft shows

commercial photographer in

<p>Being mainly a nature and wildlife photographer, I wanted to build up a supply and start selling at craft shows. Now I see a lot of different people around this part of the country. Some who have no framed pictures, and some who have all framed pictures. Seems like all of these formats sell great in this area providing the picture is right.<br>

When doing either a small craft show at a school, or a large craft fair at a state park, how many different images should I have before I start selling? I know I have to have a large stock of prints for sale, but is there a specific number of images I should have?<br>

What I plan on doing at my show is selling many different types of mounts. I want to have some photos inside note cards, 4x6, 8x10, and 11x14 matted images, as well as all three sizes mounted on fiber board I think they call it.<br>

What are your thoughts on this sort of thing?</p>

<p>Frederick Claus</p>

<p>Have LOTS of capital to find out what people will buy, purchase your display units and booth and pay show fees. Get a credit card processor and cell phone. Register your business in every state in which you plan to sell, learn how to file Schedule C and be a business person. Go to a few shows to see what people are trying to sell. If it looks like what you do, don't sign up for those shows.<br>

And beware of humidity.</p>

<p>Emilly is right. Lots of money and testing to see what sells. Wind, Pollen, Rain, etc. Not always fun, but important to know if your work is good enough. Pick your best images, have a theme; abstract, nature, windows and doors. Don't mix them. Most important, make a business plan! You plan a trip, you should plan a business. If your not willing to, expect failure. <br>

Now, to answer your quesion: it is not important how many images you have, it is important to have images that sell along with a presentation that shows your work and that you are professional. Frame pieces attract, most sales are made in the unframed matted. (unless you have proven yourself and can demand good money for framed pieces only)<br>

Forget note cards, you make too little on them and people just buy them to frame anyway. Sell the 5x7 image matted to 8x10. 8x10 matted to 11x14, and 11x14 matted to 16x20. <br>

Make 3 of each image in the two smaller sizes. When you find your hot image you will need more but you have to start somewhere. Keep track of what sells, and stand back and listen to what the people say. No one is going to tell you your work sucks to your face. Everyone will say how great it is. The real test is if they buy. Don't worry what others charge, you have to figure your cost of goods, travel, gas, food, time, time, time. and don't forget profit. If your not making a profit, get another job and shoot without the pressure of selling.<br>

Good luck.</p>

<p>I agree with Jim. People will not pay for the frames. They might for the matted prints. But you need some of them framed because it is part of your marketing effort.<br>

I would not mix your paper types because it could distract from your theme. <br>

To protect your inventory, from sticky fingers and such, I think it is OK to have each matted print in a glassy sleeve.<br>

As Jim says, you need to do proper cost accounting including a factor for the value of your time and profit and depreciation of all of your equipment. Most photographers ignore these steps. Believe it or not, many prints do not sell because they are priced too low by the photographer ! <br>

Joe Smith</p>

<p>I had a friend about 20 years ago who was a very good would-be Ansel Adams landscape photographer who show great B&W of various nautical and nature scenes around the Chesapeake Bay and sold prints at craft shows in Baltimore and Washington. He was trying to sell matted 11x14s for about $25 and barely broke even. Finally he got tipped off by another craft show vendor to raise his price to $250 and they started to sell like crazy. The story was at $25 it was just a picture but at $250 it was art! Some sellers I have seen have a range to suit every pocketbook. You can get a framed 16x20 for $350 or you can get the same image as a matted 5x7 for $20. You have to figure out what works for you and your market.</p>