Picking up a lens

sebastian_kovanchev

Buying a lens is a little more involved than the guide you suggested. I would rather suggest an illustrated book that shows the field of view of different focal lengths and especially as it translates to the format of the camera one is using. A picture does it best. Also depends on several big factors 1) the need for the speed and precision of the lens and 2) its cost. For most people it is good to start with a basic lens, or a normal lens for the size of the image sensor. Take pictures and then see if you need more reach or more width. Your library is a good start. And the web sites of the company that makes cameras as well. Some folks thrive on one lens, a do it all lens. Such are not to be laughed off I am thinking. Any guide is a start, and do your own homework is my offering.

<p>Also, the link takes you to a page entitled "How to Pick Up a Lens Guide", which I thought would be instructions on how to lift a book on lenses. Turned out not to be so.<br>

Gerry has some good advice, and I think the page in the link is probably too simplistic to be helpful.</p>