Pic of the month - July

Hope this finds everyone well. My woodsum pinhole fabrication attempt didn't really work out, despite numerous attempts to tape it up to stop light leaks. Herewith:

woodsum.thumb.jpg.e3bd489579f45b905062cbf32dcfd739.jpg

So some archived photos, both of which have been posted before. Not mine. Look forward to your photos. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

photo3.thumb.jpg.945afcc72808b13f88c080155dc89067.jpg

image2.thumb.jpg.fe1f5ad2e6b168a67809d56dbf4c075a.jpg

• Like 3

Here's one of a local landmark, taken a couple of years ago

51396279539_b89f249852_b.jpg

Headington Shark | Instax Square monochrome, taken with a Lomo'Instant Square

Now that is quite unique. There must be story there - would love to know it. That shark (I presume it is) is huge. Reminds me of that movie, Jaws. Regards, Arthur, and thanks.

Edited by arthur_mcculloch|2

• 1 month later...
Yeah, it is a bit underexposed :)

You're right. And 'tolerance' and 'latitude' are probably terms that befit retro etc shots. Most shots on these sorts of cameras will exhibit aberrations, sloppy contrast, exposure difficulties (for pinholes, it's always guessamatic, and long exposures). There's little point to find a retro camera that matches the test performance of a nikkor.

And you're right. It was a bit underexposed (the old joke was that it was like being a bit pregnant). Nonetheless, enjoy the images that these strange cameras create. I liked it. And it's fun. Regards, Arthur. Look forward, Ludmilla, to your contribution to what looks like a pretty pauce site. Regards, Arthur.

Now that is quite unique. There must be story there - would love to know it. That shark (I presume it is) is huge. Reminds me of that movie, Jaws. Regards, Arthur, and thanks.

I'm sorry to have missed this message, but it is auspicious that I saw it today ...

You can read about the shark at https://www.headington.org.uk/shark/; it became a cause celebre in Oxford as it was installed without planning permission and the legal process went through to the very highest level to confirm that the sculpture could stay (against a city order to remove it). It was erected in 1986 on the 41st anniversary of the atomic bomb being dropped on Nagasaki. Today, the 77th anniversary of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima an Oxford experimental performance theatre group took to the streets of our neighbourhood to make the connection between the shark and current anxieties about the war in Ukraine.

The formal title of the sculpture is 'Untitled 1986' and the guy who commissioned it said, 'The shark was to express someone feeling totally impotent and ripping a hole in their roof out of a sense of impotence and anger and desperation…. It is saying something about CND, nuclear power, Chernobyl and Nagasaki.'