Pic-O'-The-Week#5

Uhuroo, where are you?

So, no doubt holidays (we have had our 'invasion' day celebration yesterday). So a post to get things going, and forgive me for my usurpation. I would also ask, having now going into debt with the purchase of a monochrom m, could anyone suggest a good, and cheap, TTL flash to use. Anyway, this image, my good friend Pommie. He goes to a colonoscopy in the next few days. He is not well. My (t)rusty Bessa R with a voigtlander 75mm. No flash this time. Best wishes, and looking forward to the images

pommie.thumb.jpg.311eb516fc78ef08d476ba90e80aebb7.jpg

• Like 4

Vancouver BC is changing profoundly because of real estate craziness. One consequence is that the future of many businesses in low rise building is in doubt. I decided to start taking pictures of some of my favourite commercial strips of this sort for a series I am going to call "Vanishing Vancouver". Below is a section of Robson Street, taken with a 21mm lens.

foodstrip.thumb.jpg.b6c4dba8744bda187f7e48bdd64ce9f8.jpg

• Like 2

Greg, that is a lovely shot. Is it the start of autumn where you are? A mix of fallen leaves, and vibrant green. Stric, again my apologies (I should de-gender my responses, and will do so from now). Billblackwellphotography, I will be remiss, and no doubt even more remiss, I cannot say many more of us, but I am certainly worried about your president. He seems a classic narcissist, dangerous, and ill-educated. Not the place for this, I know. I suspect the moderator will remove this. But here in the antipodes, pictures of war machinery just give us the jitters now. Anyway, for what it's worth. Keep safe. And anyone got an idea for a flash for a monochrom? As an addition, a couple of 'flash attack' shots - juts pre set the (t)rusty bessa, this time with a summaron LTM; point it in someone's face, and there you go

flash1.thumb.jpg.0731564659616474c8ff36eef7c0079f.jpg flash1.thumb.jpg.0731564659616474c8ff36eef7c0079f.jpg

• Like 1

And Michael. You bring back memories. Bitter sweet for me. I spent some time in Vancouver, now nearly two decades ago. Doing some work with the IRB (I think that was what it was called) on refugees. It was an amazing city. Stanley Park. The eastside. Spent some time on the west coast - breathtakingly beautiful, at times beyond words. When I was there a local law firm had, for a couple of years, got, I think Konica, to provide cameras (the cardboard box things) to local, largely homeless, people, and produce a calendar, I think called 'hope in the shadows'. That was a long time ago. I went to its launch, from memory in 2003. Thank you for your picture and provoking these memories. I wish you well with your project. Regards, Arthur (apiarist1)

Thanks Arthur.

Middle of Winter right now. Spring probably 6-7 weeks off. I share your sentiments about Vancouver. Lovely, beautiful place. We were there in 2004. I believe it was shortly after returning they were awarded the Winter Olympics for 2010. Lots of changes there since.

And anyone got an idea for a flash for a monochrom?

The Leica SF 40 is your only option (the smaller SF 26 is far inferior and would only save you around $50). It's dedicated to the Leica and the only way to get true TTL flash metering. On the top-end, IMHO, the Leica SF 64 is overkill (no pun intended given your other remarks) for a Leica M camera.

My pic this week was chosen for its composition and historical significance. It was in no way intended as a political statement. My sincerest apologies if it caused any offence.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra