Phottix Aion

tim_eastman

<p>I am trying to find information about the number of bracketed shots the Phottix Aion will shoot. I have had Phottix remotes for my D80 and D300 and they seem to work nicely and for an attractive price. Nikon finally put a IR receiver on the back of the D7000, but the angles are still pretty narrow. If this does not work I can move up to a Promote, but if it does I will be $ 200.00 ahead!</p>

<p>Unless I'm missing something, bracketing is purely a function of the camera surely? You set the bracketing parameters on the camera and simply fire the shutter singly or using continuous burst until all the bracketed exposures are taken. Whether a remote release is used or the camera shutter button is directly pressed shouldn't make any difference, so I'm really not seeing how using a remote release would affect the number of bracketed shots unless the sequence was terminated early.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.hdrlabs.com/occ/index.html">This looks interesting</a>, and just needs a Nintendo DS to control the camera. Note however, that there is a limit to how fast a Nikon shutter can be operated by remote. I've just tried my D700, and no matter how short the operating pulse, the fastest shutter time obtainable in "Bulb" mode is 1/5th of a second. This probably varies between models, since the link above states a shortest shutter time of 1/10th sec.</p>

<p>The Promote controller uses a USB connection to control the camera. This is a far more flexible interface than the simple shutter release socket, but if you're going that route then a laptop computer running Camera Control Pro 2 might be more useful. Cheaper too, if you already have a laptop.</p>

<p>I got a reply from Phottix and was told that the Aion can do 3,5,or 7 bracketed shots interdependently of the camera. If true, it gives me more brackets than my D7000. If it works this way it is all I need, and I have been satisfied with my prior Phottix releases. I may wait to hear more feedback, but it seems too good to be true.</p>