Photoshops in Seattle and/or San Francisco

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by erik_christensen|3, Jun 15, 2013.

1. erik_christensen|3

erik_christensen|3 Self-employed

Any recommendations for well stocked photoshops in the above cities?

2. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

In the San Francisco area, the best choice is Keeble and Shuchat, but the are in Palo Alto, near Stanford University, about some 30 miles south. K and S has two stores, across the street from each other. If you drive, take freeway 101 south and exit Oregon Expressway. They are also close to the "California Street" Cal Train station in Palo Alto. http://kspphoto.com
    Inside San Francisco, I have used Fireside Camera, but they are a much smaller store.

3. In Seattle, Glazer's is the place:
    430 8th Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109
    Monday - Friday: 9am to 7pm
    Rental Store opens Mon-Fri at 8am
    Saturday: 9am to 6pm,
    Sunday: noon to 5pm

4. Is Seattle Film Works still in business? I know film and development are now only a fraction of what they were, but they did do a good job. Wondering if they found any niche to stay in business.

5. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator

In San Francisco, you have the new Samy's store, which is huge, and Calumet, which is large. While Shun recommends a good shop, it will take you a while to get there and you won't find anything you can't find at either of the two big ones in the city. Both Samy's and Calumet have access to inventory outside their local stores, should you know in advance what you need. Samy's has a great rental shop also, staffed by people who worked at Pro Camera Rental before its demise.

6. In San Francisco, Adolph Gasser used to be the big store, I haven't been there for many years but they still seem to be in business: http://www.gassersphoto.com
    There's also Calumet Photo: http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/locations-us/san-francisco.cfm
    In the East Bay you have a couple good stores:
    Walnut Creek: Camera West: http://www.camerawest.com/locations/
    Berkeley: Looking Glass Photo: http://www.lookingglassphoto.com
    Otherwise +1 regarding K&S in Palo Alto, one of the last great camera store. Not only beautiful building but also amazing inventory.

7. Spearhead

Spearhead Moderator

Adolph Gasser used to be the big store​

Gasser's feels old and dirty these days, especially compared to Samy's and Calumet. The East Bay stores are smaller.
    amazing inventory​

I suggest you go to the Samy's store in San Francisco and you will see something closer to "amazing" these days. Also, as I mentioned above, they have easy access to inventory not in the location.

8. Not so sure I'd recommend Glazer's in Seattle. First it's not on the greatest location due to construction (known locally as the "Mercer
    Mess") on a multi-year effort to fix some traffic issues.

The other reasons I personally have a hard time recommending Glazer's is price (not the most competitive) and more importantly for me
    attitude. Every time I've gone in there I've either wound up with a clerk that was a condescending jerk or was hustling for a sale.

For me, I find Kenmore Camera to be easier to deal with - friendlier and more willing to discuss things without the know it all attitude and
    I've never felt pressured to spend money.

9. Another vote for Glazers - yes they can have some attitude and the sales guys are doing their jobs trying to sell stuff, but you can't beat them for the stock they have on hand. They have just about anything you'd want.

The Mercer mess is much less so these days and it's not that difficult to get to.

Kenmore Camera is a nice place, but they have nowhere near the inventory as Glazers and getting to them up in Kenmore is quite out of the way unless you happen to be near there. If you are looking for something in particular I'd call first.

10. erik_christensen|3

Thank you very much for you comments

11. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Erik, if you don't mind sharing with us what you may want to purchase, maybe we can provide better answers. It turns out that in San Francisco, Samy's and Calumet are not that far from each other. You can visit both in one shot.

12. erik_christensen|3

Shun - Honestly it is not for myself, but for a friend of mine (I have far too much already, if you ask my wife -:)) I will try if I can get something specific out of him.
    Thanks for your kind assistance.

13. erik_christensen|3

I thought it was new equipment, however, it now turns out it is mainly vintage lenses for his Nikon F3, that he is interested in! That probably makes it much more difficult, as such lenses are probably not on the shelf in all photo shops.