Photoshop produces PDF preview instead of printing?

<p>I'm running both an iMac and a Macbook Pro, same os, both Photoshop CS5, same drivers for my Canon Pro 9000 MkII printer.</p>

<p>My desktop will always print directly to the printer when I send an image from photoshop, regardless of file format. My laptop occasionally will print directly, but most often produces a PDF preview, which I can then print, regardless of file format.</p>

<p>My question is: Why do they behave differently, and will the print quality from printing the PDF preview be the same as if the file were printed directly from photoshop?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for your help!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Justin -</p>

<p>The only reason I can think of for that behavior is that Photoshop doesn't recognize the printer - either a bad or corrupt driver - or perhaps the printer is sleeping or off-line when you launch photoshop. </p>

<p>As for the quality - I believe (but can't say 100%) that it will be lower - because the image is rendered into Adobe first then into a print. So you have an extra step there... Although I do print non-image files via adobe all the time - and I haven't really noticed any issues - but again those are not Photos...</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>You don’t really want to be sending PDF’s to print this way. I can’t imagine why you are getting a PDF unless instead of Print, you are selecting Preview in the dialog (which does build a PDF and open the Preview application). Check the Print Settings in CS5’s Print dialog, make sure you are not clicking on Preview button, then clicking on the Save button (which would make that Print button in CS5 build a PDF for Preview and not to the print driver).</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<blockquote>

<p>or perhaps the printer is sleeping or off-line when you launch photoshop.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You may have it David, I just tried closing photoshop, connecting the printer, re opening photoshop, then printing, and everything went straight through!</p>

<p>I have an (apparently bad) habit of just plugging in a printer when I'm ready to use it (since there are 3 in my office). Strange that the same thing does not happen on the desktop!</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice Andrew!</p>

<p>Thanks for the solution!</p>

• 2 weeks later...