Photoshop lens correction filter vs camera raw

You can apply lens corrections either as you do your other Camera Raw adjustments, or later in Photoshop, using its Lens Correction filter.

I've read that it's a good idea to do all you can in ACR/Lightroom, before opening an image in Photoshop. Does that hold true for lens corrections? If so, why would Adobe bother putting them in both places?

Thanks,

Russell

Yes, because it's a parametric (instruction) based edit, not burned into the pixels until rendering, and, all parametric edits in those products are applied in 'best processing' order, not user order.

Adobe puts it in both places because some don't process raw data (but they should <g>).

• Like 2

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Yes, because it's a parametric (instruction) based edit, not burned into the pixels until rendering, and, all parametric edits in those products are applied in 'best processing' order, not user order.

Adobe puts it in both places because some don't process raw data (but they should <g>).

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure I was on the right track!

Best,

Russell

RUSSELL C. BANKS

I've read that it's a good idea to do all you can in ACR/Lightroom, before opening an image in Photoshop.

Certainly for lens corrections.

More generally: mostly. My nothing-too-complicated workflow starts in Lightroom, stays there as long as possible, and then moves the image to photoshop. However, that stage of moving to photoshop has one big minus: it bakes into the base image all of the edits done in Lightoom. If later edits in Photoshop suggest that one of your adjustments in LR was too severe, you have a problem.

The way around this isn't that difficult, but it results in much larger files. If there are any LR/ACR adjustments you may think you want to alter after Photoshop edits, DON'T make them before moving the image to Photoshop. Instead, move it to Photoshop, duplicate the base layer, convert the duplicate to a smart object, and open the ACR filter as a smart filter. You will be able to go back to the smart filter at any time and change the ACR adjustments. If size is an issue, you can convert the smart object to a regular layer once you are certain you don't want to alter any of the settings.

Also, there are tools that are simply better in Photoshop than in Lightroom. I put off adjustments with those tools until the image is in Photoshop.