Photoshop Elements 2018/Windows 10 issue

Recently updated to Windows 10 and now my images open in Photoshop Elements 2018 postage stamp size in the upper left corner of the monitor. Turns out this issue dates back to the April 2018 Windows 10 update, but Adobe hasn't bothered to update PSE 2018 to resolve this issue.

Adobe tech support suggested a couple of fixes, but they didn't work. On-line I found many suggestions, but only one so far has worked for me: open PSE as administrator. I've not tried some on-line suggestions to fiddle with the computer registry because a) they were too vague for me to take action and b) fiddling with the registry scares the heck out of me.

Adobe has refused to give me a free PSE update to a later version. Thanks Adobe!

Have any of you found permanent fixes other than open as administrator?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Adobe provided tech support, none worked, but you think folks here know more about YOUR computer system and an old copy of Elements and have a fix?

1. Maybe dust off that copy of Photoshop you said you once had a license for?
  2. UPDATE Elements (it's now up to version 2021)?
  3. Get a Mac?
  4. Downgrade Windows 10 you had (?) to update that hosed your very old copy of Elements which is no less than four versions old?
  5. Get a much, much bigger display that doesn't flicker and work on postage stamps? ;)

Adobe refused to give you a free copy of anything on sound ground. You're four major versions behind. Elements isn't a subscription, pay for an update like other Elements users who update their systems/hardware:

Buying guide | Adobe Photoshop Elements 2021

The damn product cost $99; we'd be better off here getting you a GoFundMe account and send you enough to get a copy and move on in future silence (remember .

You must have saved enough money for an update to Elements by never upgrading to a mirrorless camera due to the concept never proven, that they heat and degraded the image.

Do you recall (well I and some here might) your struggles with Elements in the past here? Maybe it's time to move onto Analog. Analog photography that is. :D

Photoshop Elements 2018 doesn't report Exposure Compensation

And:

How to backup Elements 2018 Camera RAW Database in Windows 7?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

If opening PSE as an administrator works, why don't you just do that if you don't want to pay for up-to-date software?

Because unfortunately once again, an actual solution isn't on the agenda.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

When you buy software that isn't on a subscription plan, the vendor isn't responsible for upgrading it for free if the OS changes after new versions of the program has been released. That's what paid software updates are for, if you don't opt for a subscription.

If opening PSE as an administrator works, why don't you just do that if you don't want to pay for up-to-date software?

• Like 1

Damn digital dog, did you fall out of the wrong side of the bed a bit too early today?

Until 5:11pm and notification of this first post above, my day was wonderful. :D

Not at all; that's his normal MO.

Here is posting history M.O, yours!

Not based on your Glutton for Punishment desire because apparently the punishment is worthwhile in order to get attention. And that's the posting agenda that can be seen here and in other photo forums, the list is sadly massively long but so consistent: Ask a question of the group, then immediately dismiss and push back on anything said that doesn't sync with the predetermined desired answer (notice the question marks!):

Flicker, eyestrain or headache when using a monitor with LED backlighting?

AND:

How do you like your 23" NEC P232W-BK-SV with LED backlighting?

AND:

Three different color calculators can't be wrong, can they?

Do SoLux bulbs meet color temp specs?

And (push back) again:

NEC SpectraView update doesn't work

NEC PA242W with SpectraView problems

NEC P242W with SpectraView weird flicker

Epson R2880 suddenly prints with reddish color cast

And:

Photoshop Elements 2018 doesn't report Exposure Compensation

And:

How to backup Elements 2018 Camera RAW Database in Windows 7?

Add today's inability to understand Adobe or the need to not blindly update an OS when running a four version old copy of that product.

And:

ACR Histogram misunderstanding

And (thankfully I missed this slug fest of Frans):

In-camera RAW histograms

And:

Elements print bug

We can also add to that long list, nonsense about sensors overheating and being an issue in 10 pages of back and forth that resulted in it all getting deleted on Lula but contained here on poor PhotoNet:

Are DSLRs doomed? Tony Northrup says no.

And a year later, more sensor heat nonsense on LuLa:

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=134951.msg1171465#msg1171465https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=134951.msg1171465#msg1171465

I really do not recommend reading them all, rather painful stuff. But I do believe it illustrates a pattern: post about a 'problem', ask for consensus of others to agree the problem exists (rarely if ever does consensus let alone any agreement occur), complain when what he's told doesn't match what he wants to hear, go away for X number of months and start all over again.

Attention garnered, even when its unanimously negative is to be expected when the poster's claim to fame is a self published book of political fiction. Ironically the same person while massively picky about photo and imaging gear has never provided any evidence of a photo taken, let alone made. Which is why attention, even when the result is unanimous disagreement from multiple experienced photographers and experts, is the posting agenda.

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't "- Erica Jong

Tomorrow I'll set up a GoFundMe at $99.00 so patrons here can contribute towards that Elements 2021 update. I'll throw in the first $10 bud. If (big if) we collect enough for you Frans, well worth the result: MAYBE a few months of a different posting agenda from you. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

That's what I'm doing right now, but I'd like to hear about a more rational, permanent solution.

The more rational, permanent solution is to keep your software up to date. B&H is currently selling PSE 2021 for $70. Instead, you are asking people on at least two different forums to contribute their time to help you save $70.

• Like 1

B&H is currently selling PSE 2021 for $70. Instead, you are asking people on at least two different forums to contribute their time to help you save $70.

And as the case so often, not accepting those contributions. Nuttin-new.:p

I don't have any specific suggestions. If you bought PSE on a CD-Rom, you could try uninstalling PSE and re-installing it as Administrator. Otherwise, it sounds to me as though you're left with a downloaded PSE 2018 version (configured for W7) that uses Windows functions/data that were "openly available" under W7 but are "administrator-protected" under W10. Various problems have been reported w.r.t. PSE 2018 and W10 version S.

TBH, I agree with @digitaldog that if your old (W7-installed) version of PSE doesn't work with the current version of W10, then you have little choice other than to upgrade.

The Windows Store sometimes has PSE on offer with a discount.

Very few software suppliers offer free upgrades to customers with previous versions. Some offer discounts to entice people to upgrade to the 'next' version. Most suppliers have limited or no support for versions other than the previous one. A new version of PSE is released each year. Minor updates may take place throughout the year. But it doesn't surprise me that Adobe doesn't want to invest in 'fixes' for software released in 2017. Especially when the 'cause' of the problems is not Adobe itself but updates to Windows 10.

The good news: you'll get at least 3 years worth of upgrades to functionality and usability all in in one go :).

• Like 1

For 25 years I've seen the incestuous relationship between the OS and "worker" programmer manufacturers. The latter love it when the OS is updated. It forces their customers to upgrade. When attacked, they just shrug their shoulders and blame Microsoft. Who us? Meanwhile, the OS manufacturer stops supporting their older software forcing you to upgrade the OS. When you do that even more programs stop working right. So you're caught between a rock and a hard spot. It's all a game for both sides to make more money. Each side winks at the other on the way to the bank.
  • Like 1

Very few software suppliers offer free upgrades to customers with previous versions. Some offer discounts to entice people to upgrade to the 'next' version. Most suppliers have limited or no support for versions other than the previous one. A new version of PSE is released each year. Minor updates may take place throughout the year. But it doesn't surprise me that Adobe doesn't want to invest in 'fixes' for software released in 2017. Especially when the 'cause' of the problems is not Adobe itself but updates to Windows 10.

The good news: you'll get at least 3 years worth of upgrades to functionality and usability all in in one go :).

Shouldn't this apply to Windows 10? After all, Frans Adobe software is dated 2018. It just turned 2021. It's only been two years. Shouldn't the three-year upgrade apply?

In addition, Windows 10 was out before 2018, I believe. How can you sell a 2018 product that doesn't' also work in Windows 10? Adobe is in effect selling a product that was obsolete the day they sold it. A buyer should have some expectation that they can use it for more than a year or two. Adobe should provide an update or upgrade, whatever you want to call it, at least for less than what a normal update would cost. But their short-term desire to squeeze every dollar they can is ruining their long-term relationship with much of the public. But that's the game they want to play.

• Like 1

I upgraded my Elements from 2014 to 2020 for $70 a year or so ago. Adobe should show goodwill by let's say upgrading 2018 software for people stuck with the Windows upgrade problem from 7 to 10 for let's say $35. Meet your customers half way. Show some concern for their plight that they can't use your product after two years. Sure Adobe isn't responsible for Windows. However, an effort to help their customer will go a long way building customer loyalty. But what do I know about business?
  • Like 1

"Hello, is this General Motors?"

"Yes, it is. How can we help you, Mr. Klein?"

"Well, my 2018 Chevy blew its engine and I'm having trouble finding repair parts or a new engine that would fit."

"Yes, Mr. Klein, I'm sorry but our supplier of engines no longer supports that model. So we can't fix it for you or replace the engine. But worry not. We're coming out with our 2021 Models and you can upgrade, for only $35,000. Any particular color you'd like?"

For 25 years I've seen the incestuous relationship between the OS and "worker" programmer manufacturers. The latter love it when the OS is updated. It forces their customers to upgrade.

WHO held a gun to your head or Frans to update any OS or software Alan? Try specifics.

I've got software from the 90's that at the time cost thousands of dollars. That software is still useful today. It will never run under OSX. Solution simple but simple solutions will fall one some deaf ears here: I purchased on eBay a MacBook that can run OS9 for less than $150, I can still run those products. NO ONE holds a gun to my head to update any of my computers. And no one holds a gun to yours or Frans. Some here find it impossible to take their own actions seriously which is sad.

Shouldn't this apply to Windows 10? After all, Frans Adobe software is dated 2018. It just turned 2021. It's only been two years. Shouldn't the three-year upgrade apply?

The answer from Adobe was clearly NO. Shouldn't Frans downgrade his OS, or have examined what products might not support it before doing so, or copied the entire system to an external bootable to go back/test, or just spend $70 to upgrade Elements? That would have been a sound idea.

I upgraded my Elements from 2014 to 2020 for $70 a year or so ago. Adobe should show goodwill by let's say upgrading 2018 software for people stuck with the Windows upgrade problem from 7 to 10 for let's say $35. Meet your customers half way.

This illustrates why Alan isn't in the software business. Some of us here have such experience creating and selling software (to photographers no less!).

"Well, my 2018 Chevy blew its engine and I'm having trouble finding repair parts or a new engine that would fit."

"Yes, Mr. Klein, I'm sorry but our supplier of engines no longer supports that model. So we can't fix it for you or replace the engine. But worry not. We're coming out with our 2021 Models and you can upgrade, for only $35,000. Any particular color you'd like?"

ALTERNATIVE DIALOGUE:

"Well, my 2018 Chevy needs an oil change, new windshield wiper blades, a tune up, gas every week or so, and there’s an insurance payment due the 15th of every month.”

"And? ..."

“I don’t like all those extra bills.”

“Take the bus.”

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Hi @AlanKlein,

Good points! I'll try and respond to them 1 by 1. I'm in no sense a "tech guy"and far from being clued up on W10 or PSE. But I do help (mostly elderly) people on a volunteer basis to sort out problems with PC's, Tablets, Internet, Wifi etc. I usually don't know what's causing problems but I've learned to look up some things on internet and I can usually figure out what kind of ''possible causes and solutions" people are talking about.

I don't personally believe that "worker software" suppliers and OS suppliers have an incestuous relationship, though I'm sure that is how it can appear.m I also don't believe that the relationship is in itself mutually profit-driven. Upgrades to W10 from WXP or W7 were, for example, completely free for many years. It is true that. as the sophistication of OS platforms, "worker software" and websites develops, older hardware becomes outdated in terms of available memory, processing speed, etc.

I only use Windows and I can see many reasons why different major versions of Windows (W1-3, W95, W98, W2000, WXP, W7, W8, W10) have been released over the years. Partly to offer ever better multi-tasking, partly to offer (or experiment with ;)) better and easier user interfaces - just think of support for touch screens as an example - and partly to improve security in response to internet risks. But I think the main driver for the evolution of Windows (and Browsers) has been the desire from 'worker software' suppliers (and major Business users) to provide better, more usable, flexible ,and sophisticated software. Sure this means that users of OS platforms and 'worker software' need to keep their business and home PC's, etc. reasonably up to date. But I think that's true in most areas of technology, which is always developing. I personally doubt whether suppliers make a whole lot of profit from developing software te leverage the 'next' version of Windows while still supporters on the previous version(s). But there does come a time when most "worker software" suppliers say "Hey, Windows 10 has been available for 5 years now. All PC's and Laptops in that period were pre-installed were W10. Sorry, but we're withdrawing support for our apps running on a OS more than 5 years old""

ompanies usually make the most profit from so-called ''cash cows": products that have the highest sales and require the least investment/support. However, Microsoft also competes with companies like Apple and Google. And Apple's long-term ''competitive edge" has been in usability and and (within its eco-system) that thing's just work together (always). So there has always been pressure on Microsoft (from Apple) to 'up its game' from having a menu to disparate apps that may or not work to a more 'seamless' user experience.

"After all, Frans Adobe software is dated 2018. It just turned 2021. It's only been two years. Shouldn't the three-year upgrade apply?" I don't know the details and there could be multiple causes, most of which have IMHO little to do with Adobe. First of all there's a Windows 10 S version that essentially only runs software downloaded from the Microsoft store. I have no idea whether this is a factor in this case. In general, PC's/Laptops that were designed for W7 have more limited memory (RAM) and processing power than those designed for W10. W10 generally takes up more memory than W7 . So it's just possible that PSE 2018 problems occur on recently upgraded W10 PC's not because of specific PSE/W10 problems but because a PC/Laptop (with limited memory/processsing power can't run both at the same time. This is just pure speculation about 1 of very many possible causes!

In addition, Windows 10 was out before 2018, I believe. How can you sell a 2018 product that doesn't' also work in Windows 10? Adobe is in effect selling a product that was obsolete the day they sold it. A buyer should have some expectation that they can use it for more than a year or two. Adobe should provide an update or upgrade, whatever you want to call it, at least for less than what a normal update would cost. But their short-term desire to squeeze every dollar they can is ruining their long-term relationship with much of the public. But that's the game they want to play.

I fully agree that an 'upgrade discount' by Adobe would go a long way towards maintaining customer loyalty. It does seem very unreasonable to me that Adobe charges 'existing customers' the same price for upgrades as new customers. But I can imagine that Adobe (or any other company) has some restrictions. For example that they offer a 50% discount for existing customers upgrading from versions x or y. But not for customers upgrading from z years ago.

Hi [uSER=6173649][/uSER],

I fully agree that an 'upgrade discount' by Adobe would go a long way towards maintaining customer loyalty. It does seem very unreasonable to me that Adobe charges 'existing customers' the same price for upgrades as new customers.

Updating from say Elements 2020 to 2021 is one thing. Updating from say Elements 2018 to 2021, four versions is another. I'll simply speak for myself in terms of paying for software outside a subscription: it's quite common to find a discount from version "1" to version "2" and the cost gets higher as the versions get greater to the point you pay full price for not upgrading.

None of this has anything to do with Fran's "problem"; no one, Alan included have to update an OS or software that previously ran as expected.

Venting about Adobe is pointless and IMHO, there's nothing to vent about when the product new, with no discount is $99. Update Elements, move forward, end of story. Or don't. Or take Adobe's advice: open PSE as administrator. Frans refuses to do any of that. So like all his other Elements problems (or issues with a display, a database, mirrorless camera he has never tried), this tread has shown it's uselessness like so many other posts of "problems" after getting sound advise that was/always is ignored.

WHO held a gun to your head or Frans to update any OS or software Alan? Try specifics.

I've got software from the 90's that at the time cost thousands of dollars. That software is still useful today. It will never run under OSX. Solution simple but simple solutions will fall one some deaf ears here: I purchased on eBay a MacBook that can run OS9 for less than $150, I can still run those products. NO ONE holds a gun to my head to update any of my computers. And no one holds a gun to yours or Frans. Some here find it impossible to take their own actions seriously which is sad.

The answer from Adobe was clearly NO. Shouldn't Frans downgrade his OS, or have examined what products might not support it before doing so, or copied the entire system to an external bootable to go back/test, or just spend $70 to upgrade Elements? That would have been a sound idea.

This illustrates why Alan isn't in the software business. Some of us here have such experience creating and selling software (to photographers no less!).

If this how you treat and talk to your customers, I would never buy software from you.