Photoshop DOF Effect Creation

Hi I have a consumer grade digital camera. I think the lens is fixed

at f8 or f11. I want to create the blurry background that SLR cameras

are known for with portraits. Is there any way I can blur the

backgrounds to create the Depth of Field effect? I saw that there are

a few different bluring tools in the filter menu. Any suggestions are

welcome for the best results..

My method is along same lines but slightly more tweekable as you tweek on the second layer and leave the original (background layer) untouched till finished.

open file - duplicate background - apply filter>gaussian blur (@1-2) to second layer

go to menu >layer>add layer mask>reveal all

then click on gradient tool and experiment to hide as much or as little of top layer as you want. tweek further using layer opacity

when done >menu>layer>remove layer mask and apply or discard.

Yet another way:

Apply your blur and then click the box next to this step in the history window, then go back a step to the one before your blur. Next, choose the history brush and paint in the bits you want blurred. You can adjust the opacity to make the far background more blurry than the closer background.

Painter had a DOF filter, and it sucked.

What i would do is duplicate the image onto a new layer, run a blur/soft blur(see below) over the entire duplicated layer. Use the gaussian algorhythm for your basic cheap blur.

Then using a layer mask mask away the parts of the image you want to remain sharp. If you have multiple parts of the image that are at different depths (which would require variable amounds of blur) duplicate the layer, run a moderate blur, mask, duplicate that layer (which would include the original mask) blur again, at the same amount to compound the effect, add to the mask.

To soft blur make two duplications of the layer, blur one, decrease it's opacity, merge, mask.