Photoshop Books?

Discussion in 'Education' started by ryan_lensman, Jun 6, 2015.

1. I've been passionate about photography for many years. I've pretty much taught myself, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book that will teach me how to really bring my photographs to life using photoshop?
  2. For me there is no better resource than Scott Kelby's books. Which depends upon your version of Photoshop and, of-course, how you learn best.
  3. Two books by Jeff Schewe, who sometimes drops in here:
    "the Digital Negative" and "The Digital Print"

But the educational aids that really opened up up Photoshop's capabilities is the DVD set "The Fine Art Figital Workflow"
    by John Paul Caponigro and R. Mac Holbert:
  4. Good Photoshop Books like The Adobe Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers, Photoshop Cc for Dummies
  5. I can recommend all books and videos by Katrin Eismann.
  6. Check out Grey Learning...

I have a problem with the Kelby books as they tend to be "recipe" books and don't really get at the underlying principles I have taught digital photography on a college lever and used the Kelby books because they had been adopted by the previous instructor.

As Rafa says Katrin's books, or anything, print or internet, by Tim Grey would be a great place to start.

7. I go back to version 2.5 of Photoshop, and every time I upgrade, I get another copy of the Photoshop app in the "Missing Manual" series. Good for learning and then stays good as a reference.
  8. I can't say I've used the current (or even a recent) version, but I liked the edition of Martin Evening's 'Adobe Photoshop for Photographers' I bought well over a decade ago, and it looks like the most recent update is well-reviewed.