Photo's of interviewees (not a business question but any advice/comments appreciated)

I do voluntary work for a local (voluntary) organisation that publishes a weekly page in the local rag. Each page has two articles, each of which is published with a photo. All articles are based on interviews with local people/organisations and describe how local initiatives contribute to 'making things better' in the community. Sometimes for a neighborhood, sometimes for a specific group in the local community. One of our principles is that we never just interview 'professionals'. Interviews always take place together with a volunteer or (preferably) with a local citizen who has personally benefited from a local initiative.

I'm one of 2-3 voluntary photographers who go along to interviews and take photos, one of which is published with the corresponding article. Occasionally, I can arrange an interview/photo location in advance. More often the location is someone's home or the place where 'the initiative' takes place. There are always at least two and sometimes three (or more) 'subjects' at an interview. I don't have any lighting equipment so I use 'natural light' and adjust in PP as needed.

At any location, I try to find the best places (lighting, background) for a photoshoot, I direct people to sit/stand in the best places and I remove any clutter from the frame. I explain beforehand how I work and I usually move around during interviews to get different perspectives. I usually take a lot of shots in 'burst mode' and select the shots in which the subjects look "present", "active" (expression, gestures), "connected" (eye-contact) and attractive. My main photo selection criteria are:

- how well does the photo express 'the story"?

- how pleased would I be if this photo of me was published?

Today, I took multiple 'burst' photos during an interview of an hour and a half and came home with 157 ' burst shots'. The first culling left 30% as 'possible'. The second culling left 20% as 'worth considering' and the third left 6 photos from which I still have to make a 'final selection'' of 3 photos to deliver, from which 1 will be selected.

I've already decided that my 'burst rate ís too high and could be halved (the number of 'shots' too). During an interview, I never know what's going to happen (expressions, gestures, eye contact) so I try to get what I can when I can. My feeling is that a 'lighting setup' would be more intimidating to the subjects than it would add top the quality of photos.

Just today, I wondered about using a (table-top) tripod with a remote to be less intimidating to interviews than with camera pointed at them.

Any advice appreciated!

Mike

During an interview, I never know what's going to happen (expressions, gestures, eye contact) so I try to get what I can when I can.

Anticipating gesture and expression from the flow of action in front of you can be a really important and good skill to develop. Burst is one thing, but I think photos actually do show when the photographer, the camera, and the person who’s the subject of the shot are in sync. You will, of course, not get EVERYTHING and may miss a few, but what you do get might have more of a spring in its step if it’s you that is in tune with the movement and the expression in addition to your camera.

Just today, I wondered about using a (table-top) tripod with a remote to be less intimidating to interviews than with camera pointed at them.

Certainly this is a viable possibility, though cameras and photographers don’t have to be intimidating. Your body language, expression, and bearing will influence the interviewee almost as much as their body language and expression will influence the photo. As a matter of fact, a confident photographer can positively affect the outcome of this kind of shoot. I generally like moving around during this kind of shoot in order to get different angles and plays with light, so I’d find leaving the camera in one position limiting. Also, a subject’s awareness of without concentration on the camera can actually lead to better photos if that awareness translates as visual engagement rather than distraction or discomfort. Don’t think of yourself as in the way. You’re a vital part of the process and your impact can be additive.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Hi @samstevens,

Thanks for your comment. Yes I do try to establish a 'personal relationship' with the interviewees both before and during the interviews. So that they' feel comfortable with the fact that I'm taking photos during the interviews. I let things settle down before I bring out my camera. During the interview, I try to anticipate expressions and gestures. Some I miss but I'm getting better. :)Afterwards I often show subjects (on my camera) some of the photos I've taken.

Our editorial 'rule' is that 'subjects don't get to choose which photo gets published'. I've often broken this 'rule'' by asking the opinions of ''subjects' on which of (my selected) photos best express their cause/initiative. They often offer opinions that I'd not thought of.

Mike