Photorama Fort Washington, Pa, show 6/30/2013

<p>So I went. More dealers than usual. There were a few Second Sunday regulars who don't usually come to this one.</p>

<p>Much to my surprise, I squandered $5 on a strange more or less 2x3 roll holder. From that pirate Sam Vinegar, no less.</p>

<p>It is labeled Graham Roll Film Adapter Model 32, Graham Scientific Instrument Corp, Cleveland Ohio. Cast aluminium, not stamped sheet metal. </p>

<p>Very strange device. Undersized gate for 2x3, 80.10 x 53.95 mm. No provision for a dark slide. The roll holder has to be intended for use on a 2x3 camera with rangefinder. </p>

<p>There's a film chamber at each end, both on the device's back (faces the photographer) side. One holds a feed spool, the other holds a take-up spool. Inserting a spool at either end requires three hands, two to pull upper and lower spring-loaded spindlesand one to hold the film. Takes 120 film, has a red window, really a hole where a red window used to be (there's a little glue residue), for telling when the film has been advanced to the next frame. </p>

<p>The thing opens wide. To load it put a 120 spool with film in the feed chamber, detach the take-up chamber, put an empty 120 spool in it. Pull film across the gate, push the leader end through a slit, attach it to the take-up spool and wind a little film on to the spool. Reattach the take-up chamber to the roll holder, tighten the film, close the roll holder. Attach to the camera -- remember, there's no dark slide -- advance the film to frame 1, ... </p>

<p>I have 2x3 Graphics, all with Graflok backs, tried attaching the beastlet to one. It fits right on after the Graflok focusing panel has been removed and the focusing panel can be wrestled back into place to hold it on the camera. I don't think it can be slipped into or under a spring back.</p>

<p>I have trouble imagining how users put up with their Graham Roll Holders.</p>

<p>I also bought another 2x3 Adapt-A-Roll 620 from Sam. In good shape and with a beautiful dark slide, probably not original. One can't have enough AAR 620s. Its gate is 82.25 x 57.87 mm.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I made it in the AM too. May the gods of the classic forum forgive me.<br>

I'll refrain from mentioning the "faux classic" N8008 I picked up for $15, and it looks barely used.<br>

Also a few name brand filters ... yellow, orange, green for $2.25 each!<br>

Worth the trip & a lovely Sunday outing.<br>

Jim</p>