Ahhh, well I'm day number #2 here and I'm enjoying my look around. Might as well fire up one of those threads that pull people in. So jump in and friend me here.

I don't know about you all, however a good quote always motivates me and when I'm behind my camera it inspires me. Actually that goes both ways. Well you get the point. Who doesn't like a good boot in the tail end to wake up your creative juices?!

“Photography is an itch that won’t go away. No matter how much you scratch it.” — Dara McGrath

This quote speaks to me, because light fascinates me, in most cases when your own and about, you are freezing light, time and that will never happen again. I find that so intriguing.

Now your turn, post a quote that is meaningful to you today! ***After the quote, tell why it's meaningful to you***

Found big list of quotes pick one or find one else where and follow above directions: http://www.pta.lk/xmruk9v

Well, he's no photographer, but he had some great things to say and a great way of saying them.

Oscar Wilde

My favorite quote of his:

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

And a quote of his that relates to photography for me:

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

I photograph people a lot and often like to capture personas or masks. The mystery behind a mask can reveal a lot. Photos with a bit of enigma often appeal to me.

tango-NEW-REDO-SHIRT-2-face-P2012-w.thumb.jpg.51ed19a47101cba274df2090d390f898.jpg

• Like 5
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

I a big fan of Sebasiao Salgado:

"So many times I've photographed stories that show the degradation of the planet. I had one idea to go and photograph the factories that were polluting, and to see all the deposits of garbage. But, in the end, I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence."

Obviously, I'm nowhere near the same level as the master that he is, but those words speak to me...

Volcan Poas, Costa Rica

http://www.leonin.net/img/s/v-2/p1409902861-5.jpg

• Like 3

There was an old Hippocratic Oath of a Photographer by M.F. Agha in 1937. I probably can't reproduce it here due to copyright, but it listed all manner of things that are cliches or just plain bad taste to photograph. A search will turn it up easily. The very last line is "In fact, if I can help it, I will refrain from taking any pictures of any description, under any pretext whatsoever." Sometimes that's the best policy.

"In fact, if I can help it, I will refrain from taking any pictures of any description, under any pretext whatsoever." Sometimes that's the best policy.

I agree. I think we overdocument out lives these days. I suppose you could argue that it's better that photography costs almost nothing, but then again, maybe not. I believe in being prolific when it matters, though.

My choice:

"CinemaScope is Hollywood." Linus Sandgren FSF

There is much I can say about how cinematography has taught me how to be a better photographer. But that is for another time. I love this quote because, in general, it reminds us that aspect ratio is in fact a part of the composition, and it communicates to the viewer just as much as composition, tonality or colour.

FYI: Sandgren shot La La Land.

My absolutely favorite photography truth:

"I think a photography class should be required in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it." - anonymous

When I first started photography, I was amazed at how much more detail I saw in my usual environment.

"I think a photography class should be required in all educational programs because it makes you see the world rather than just look at it." - anonymous

When I first started photography, I was amazed at how much more detail I saw in my usual environment.

And that seeing guarantees or even implies that you understand what you see? I dearly love photography, but can think of myriad more useful required courses.

A gun leaves a mark of destruction for posterity recording the destructive nature of humanity.

"To disarm the people...(i)s the most effectual way to enslave them."

- George Mason

Walker Evans: "Stare. It is the way to educate your eye and more. Stare, pry, listen eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long. Concern yourself not with the question whether the medium, photography ,is art. The question is dated and absurd to begin with. You are art or not; whatever you produce is or isn't. And don't think about that either; just do, act."

I dearly love photography, but can think of myriad more useful required courses.

I think art classes (I wouldn't specify just photography) are useful to kids who find them so. I also think a minimum of exposure to art is part of a well-rounded education. I took several art-related classes when I was an undergraduate (getting a liberal arts degree) and benefitted from them, but it was by choice. I think they should be available at a college level, perhaps even encouraged, but not required except, obviously, for certain majors.

And that seeing guarantees or even implies that you understand what you see?

Not necessarily. It just may be that "understanding" what you see is not the point at times. I actually think it helps sometimes to see more abstractly, and not with too much understanding. Which is not to put down understanding, which I'm very much in favor of. It just isn't always the goal.

• Like 1
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!