Photography in Taiwan

chris_willson

Agree with the previous post: Lantern festival is nothing special here, where I live we ask the kids to make lanterns themselves and they're exhibited in a public park... Try Lu-Gang (even it's not what it used to be), the temples are really nice, Beppu, Tainan. The best festival in my opinion is the Ma-Tsu festival (see my portfolio). Taroko gorges, Sun moon lake, and almost anywhere in Nantou county for landscapes photography.

I guess for an outsider it will be different, I had that feeling back in 1992 when I stumbled on the an early moon festival or a late lantern festival in Singapore ... I was amazed ... but later on the lantern festival in Taiwan I thought was very banal. I used to be spectular with laser and fireworks at the CKS memorial, but lately they move it around the country (Taichung, Tainan, Gaoxiung)to give everyone a piece of it ...

BTW, where are you guys living now, still in Taiwan? I live in Sanxia, Taipei county ...

It's about 30 minutes south of Taipei and 90 minutes North of Taizhong (Taichung), it's country side with lot's of green and Shimen dam is close by ... mountains ... and a lot's of bugs to do photomacrography ... I'm kind of in the process of specializing in it. ...

We have a 'huge pig' festival about 6 days after chinese newyear (6 days before lantern festival)

Take a look at my gallery at, (adding more pics every week)

http://www.macrophotography.org/modules.php?set_albumName=album243&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

So, Chris don't worry ... enough to shoot here in Taiwan ... the east coast is spectacular too ...

Oh, you guys can watch some of my videos at youtube.

Nature park ... Manyueyuan in Sanxia's mountains

Religious festival down south ...

It's youtube, so the quality is not as from DVD ... they are made with the fuji S9500.

Sanxia, Yuenshan (mountain)

... and some lesser interesting things to see but one of my major sites for macro ...

Enjoy

<p>Lantern festival in Taiwan for a first timer is great. In 1970 when I first lived there, I probably shot 4-5 rolls of film at it; both Tri-X and the old Anscochome 500. The best of the lot is probably <a href="http://www.faculty.uaf.edu/ffjal/photo/china/lantern.html">http://www.faculty.uaf.edu/ffjal/photo/china/lantern.html</a>

(Tri-X, Pentax Spotmatic f/1.8 Takumar and about 1/16).

OTOH, as the posters above point out, most things get much less interesting when they become routine. I live in central Alaska and am always surprized at how many pictures the tourists take of all of the boring things around here which I see all the time -- like Denali ("the mountain"), moose, and general arctic flora and fauna :-)

</p>

<p>As mentioned above, the night markets in Taiwan are great for street photography, as are the big temples. If there is still a latern festival at Longshan temple in Taipei, don't miss it.</p>