simon_tyler

Does anyone have any experience of photography in Iran? As far as i

know from friends who've travelled there, it's generally safer than

most western countries. However, as tourism grows so does the

potential for theft and mugging and so on. I'm trying to decide

whether to take my new Nikon set-up plus Plaubel 67, or the trusty

old Olympus OM2.

I'd be wary of taking the former to Egypt or anywhere similar, but

Iran is meant to be a whole different kettle of fish.

Any advice appreciated...

My wife and I recently spent a few years in Abu Dhabi, across the Gulf from Iran. That place was very safe. We never felt threatened or were concerned about theft.

We had friends who visited Iran. One, who did some freelance photography, accompanied her husband on a business trip to Tehran. The short answer is that her camera gear had once been stolen in the UK, but not in Iran. She was welcomed by the locals and brought back lots of shots. She did wear the sheila and abayah (the robe and head scarf) which certainly helped her be accepted.

Another friend, a nurse, visited a remote part of the country alone and thouroughly enjoyed herself. No stories about feeling threatened.

A group of friends visited rural Iran and were warned about wearing open toed shoes, which was considered offensive. Keep this in mind.

One lesson you learn living over there is to respect your host's culture if don't want trouble.

Photo wise, there are few rules you also learn over there. In my experience in four countries around the Gulf, do not take pictures of police stations, military installations, airports, oil installations and royal residences. An Iranian born Canadian photojournalist died in police custody in Iran after being arrested taking pictures of things the authorities did not want photographed. That incident is a major sore point in Canada - Iran relations right now, with repercussions spreading into the UN.

We even had friends spend a few hours in police custody after a young officer caught them taking a picture of a palace, which was not sign posted as a palace. A senior officer sent them on their way after examining the developed photos and seeing there was really no violation.

In short, the place is safe, but don't get stupid about what you shoot. The trouble is not worth it.

Having said that, visit Iran before it gets spoiled by tourism.

Simon,

I traveled in Iran with my wife for about two weeks a couple of years ago. It is one of the safest places, have no worries about crime. Areas closer to Afghanistan are considered marginally less safe, which Iranians blame on Afghani refugees. The only place where I felt unsafe was in the city of Bam at night, the citadel itself is perfectly safe. As a tourist you'll enjoy privileged status, mostly because Iran needs hard currency and tries to develop tourism. I traveled with Nikon and Mamiya 7, no problems with cameras, film, tripod. The only restriction is on taking pictures of women. And of course all female tourists need to cover hair with a headscarf and wear modest clothing. Rules are more relaxed in Tehran, but in provinces my wife (who bought her dress in Tehran on our first day) was getting disapproving looks mostly from old ladies. Photographically, Iran is a fascinating destination (and even more so in any other respect), I shot some of my best pictures there. Write me offline if you need more information, it was a memorable trip.

I have to second what Frank said about taking pictures of government buildings, yes, the death of the photojournalist is a major issue in Canada. However doesn't that sound similar to what we have heard of happening in the US? Photographers detained for no reason, there are some stories here on photo.net. Also make sure you learn the cultural points and taboos in Iran to make sure you don't run into any problems.

Best wishes,

--Dominic

• 2 months later...

Frank hit the nail on the head.

Also:

"I'd be wary of taking the former to Egypt or anywhere similar."

Egypt is probably the safest country in the Middle East in terms of violent crime. amd while there is some petty theft, it's almost certainly below the level of any U.S. city (and we won't even talk about Baltimore).

Cheers...

• 3 years later...

As an Iranian born photographer, I should mention that as long as you respect the culture of a country you would be safe no matter where about.

You are totally safe as long as you follow the regulation. For men you should not wear short pants. For ladies as long as she covers her head and wear a loose cloth cover her body would be alright.

http://www.fotocommunity.com/pc/account/myprofile/842948

• 1 year later...
<p>Hi guys actually i'm from Iran but I live in the UK basically me and my wife study in the UK . I used to be a free photographer in my country so i recommend you to travel there because you will find most friendly people. if you search in the internet about Iran you can see how many historical place it has . i think you will have a problem to take a visa . thats all </p>

• 4 months later...