Photography ideas

arnabdas

I have the most fun with the Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens when shooting people. You can use this lens in low light without using flash. This is the secret because most people will not notice you taking their pictures. The focal length also helps because you can stand back away from the crowd. I suggest along with everyone else for you to buy this lens. For the money (little over $100) it is a keeper lens. I also have the 18-70 lens and have a lot of fun with it. I find myself using this lens 75% of the time because of the zoom range and the fact it takes great pictures.

Arnab, how about another format - I am giving 4x5 a try and it seems like I am in way over my head - it is not just about more detail or resolution but a whole new challenge altogether. Or maybe you should conquer that other frontier - natural looking flash. Either way, have fun.

If you want to explore non-macro photography with your D200, I'd suggest street shooting but as someone who is not quite an outgoing person, I can testify that it can be a tough ask. Carefully studied abstracts might suit your measured approach more.

-anupam

Arnab:

Very good question to post.

You have been most helpful to a lot of people here & now it's your turn for help - hopefully I can offer some ideas for you.

First off:

How about some close up panoramics stitched together? Hard unless a static subject but ... may be fun

Secondly:

Create a list of subjects you have access to - whether it be flowers/people/bugs/whatever ...

Then set out to do a shoot for only that genre that you've selected for a specific period of time like say a week. Hard to let old habits die but you are only putting them on "pause" for now :)

Then create a listing of subject matter such as texture/shadow/abstract/still life/etc. ...

Then - while shooting - you can choose between all of the above for potential subject matter & while waiting for the stuff you do best you are all set:)

Your macro shots are great & I know that I tend to overshoot the stuff I enjoy as well - too many birds/flowers/etc. ...

Good luck & I know tomorrow I will have a few more thoughts - simply tired right now

Good Luck & Regards

What about architectural elements? Or natural vs man made elements? Or exploring how different things look at different times of day?

I always look for places that show dynamic interaction between the natural world and human constructions, and I try and get to them when the light is the most interesting. You can take photos of the same place many, many times if you do this, and get unique results each time you go. Environmental conditions are never exactly the same twice, and having the camera around to take advantage of that is a big treat.<div>00Hv0C-32157784.jpg.28dd58f63edd3addd5fc2d5611ff0ca8.jpg</div>

Knowing your style and approach, I also feel carefully studied abstracts might be an option. Ask yourself what attracts you - nature/wildlife/architecture/people/events/city life....

Since your primary interest presumably is nature, you might get new opportunities as long as there are natural surroundings in your locality. Honestly, my shooting has also gone down significantly since I changed my location, primarily due to lack of ease of access to natural surroundings.

Abstracts might be a good option for you (interesting patterns under varied light levels, etc.). Laurie Meehan-Elmer's work might throw some ideas.

All the best.

Hi Arnab,

There are so many subjects you can try, and you don't have to go to far away locations to get great shots. Walk through the town where you live or through the towns and villages close to you and determine what make those places special. Write it down and make a list of possible subjects: people, architecture, wildlife... Whatever gets your attention is a good subject.

You can concentrate on abstracts, small architectural details, on the way light and shadow complement each other. If you like to use colour, and looking at your work I see you do, try to work around one specific colour. For instance, take photographs of subjects with yellow colours, or blue, or red. Or take pictures where two or more colours clash with each other or complement each other.

Looking at colour and render them in black and white is another great way of taking pictures.

If you're more into nature photography, walk down to your local park or surrounding countryside, you'll never be out of subjects. Also return to the same location at different times of the day, in different seasons.

Good luck.

regards

Jan

As someone who shares your choice of subject matter, I've enjoyed looking at your images

of butterflies, dragonflies etc. and assume that stems from an interest in the creatures

themselves.

My suggestion would be to extend and broaden your portfolio by capturing images of the

kinds of landscape and habitat they live in. In my experience, these places aren't always

the locations you would naturally choose if looking for a scenic shot and, consequently,

they can sometimes present a real challenge.

As others have suggested, a change of format can be stimulating too.

Good luck with your work.

Regards

Malcolm