Photography for social change

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>I have been involved with street and documentary photography for some years. The journey I have taken with the camera has changed my views of the world in many ways. I no longer care so much for the comments and feedback on the moments I capture, instead I hope to connect with the viewer on a more personal level.<br>

My aim is to is try and change peopes view of the world in which they live, maybe even inspire them to go out and make changes themselves.<br>

<br />For far too long I have done nothing that I can say would make a difference. Now though it is time to face those fears and put all of who I am into what I believe to be true.<br>

I have initiated a non-profit photography project which I hope will made a difference to peoples lives.<br />The output of the work will be provided completly free to the public.</p>

<p>There is a short 3 minute video that I created to explain the project, located at:<br>

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/-------------------------</p>

<p>The project website can be found at http://www.--------.me</p>

<p>Any help of feedback people can offer would be gratefully accepted.</p>

<p>Kindest of regards,</p>

<p>Pace Freeman</p>

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>So basically you signed up at photo.net today not to talk about street photography (and indeed, to tell us you're <em>not</em> interested in talking about street photography), but to get web traffic to your money-raising platform.<br /><br />I think you'll raise more money if the pitch on that site is less vague and platitudinous, and more specific about the "change" and "truths of the human condition" you want the money for. Regardless, your pitch will be more credible and compelling if you rid the first few paragraphs on the money-handling page of the grammar/punctuation errors and the glaring mis-spelling of your own project's name. <br /><br />Do I sound snarky, here? Sure. Because you obviously weren't here to contribute to <em>this</em> community, and you for sure didn't read the terms of service right in front of you as you joined. So that's my feedback: be more thoughtful and <em>far more specific</em> in your sales pitch, and be more respectful of other web sites' membership rules when you use them for drive-by advertising.</p>

<p>No Matt your conclusions are very wrong indeed... but hey some people live with fear and anger and spend their lives looking for ways to complain and fuss.<br>

<br />If you had questions and real concern about people and humanity your approach would be one of help and assistance... not one of speaking out like a child with frustration and anger... but this is really one of the problems we face today, it is easier to put others down than it is to come together and offer genuine advice to help people succeed.</p>

<p>I only hope you understand that my words are not to to infuriate you more, but rather to let you see your own frustration and mis-givings. </p>

<p>If you are able to offer any positive advice then I would be more than happy to listen. Photography for me is not just a hobby or next status symbol, it is a way of life a passion, something I use to explain not only my own fears in the world but also the fears of others.</p>

<p> As for gramatical errors, it is not easy typing on an old worn out IPAD. My equipment is basic and very old. I do not however believe photography is about what camera you use or even the computer, it is a medium to share a message... That message can be very superficial and shallow, or if may have a little depth...</p>

<p>Wishing you a day of smiles.</p>

<p>Pace</p>

<p>Matt, with all respect for your intentions, I think, you overplayed your role as gatekeeper. In my eyes, Pace should be welcomed, as so many others are in this forum. His project seems to me to be worth listening to and eventually supporting.<br>

His shots from especially Lisboa of homeless people, are in my eyes of quality and deserve our attention.<br>

I wish you all success, Pace.</p>

<p>Anders: Overplaying it (or playing gatekeeper at all) would have meant flagging the post immediately as spam. You'll notice I didn't do that. I routinely welcome most new members when I notice them - especially because most of them aren't here to push up the Google rank of their kickstarter/etc solicitation page. The moderators (and rules) here regularly - and for good reason - discourage blog flogging and solicitations.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>looking for ways to complain and fuss.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nah, Pace: mostly I just remark out loud when I notice what pretty much adds up to forum spam from someone who joined this web site just to drive traffic somewhere else.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I only hope you understand that my words are not to to infuriate you more, but rather to let you see your own frustration and mis-givings.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Who's furious? I've provided you two things: first an observation about how it's not really good form, or in keeping with the agreement you made a few minutes ago, to use this web site the way you just have ... and secondly some very specific advice (you know, the feedback you said you're after?) on how you might otherwise improve your chance of collecting the money you want. Your old iPad isn't responsible for sentence construction, you are. And I'm serious when I say that your communication style is an important part of getting the money you want. The page you're sending people to should establish, rather than diminish your credibility as a communicator.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you are able to offer any positive advice then I would be more than happy to listen.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I just did, and you didn't.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you had questions and real concern about people and humanity</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Actually, I didn't have any questions at all. I was pointing out how the <em>humanity and people</em> on this web site tend to truly reward substantive contributions to these forums, but also how they've grown understandably tired of drive-by accounts created to drop off solicitations for cash as their first (and frequently only) activity on the site. This site is as visible as it is on Google because it carefully <em>avoids</em> that sort of spam.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>your approach would be one of help and assistance</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yup, definitely missing the point. Just because you don't <em>like</em> the site's terms or are annoyed that someone finds "social change via photography" to be a less than compelling business plan doesn't mean help wasn't offered. Lead a horse to water, etc. </p>

<p>Matt look I think we´ve got off on the wrong foot here, all I want to do is join a photography forum that I can feel passionate about and share what I´m passionate about.<br>

Yes this project is very important to me, infact it represents the entire search for my own persoanl truth. <br>

If I can join a photography forum where more people get to see the those moments the I am happy.<br>

I hope you see this in the work that I would like to share while on this site.</p>

<p>kind regards</p>

<p>Pace</p>

Damon, you are right such shots do not have good press here around, but I don't think it should, by any means, prevent

people from entering the field. It is surely a minefield, so people, Pace included, should prepared for explaining

themselves.

I also agree that such shots of homeless people do have very bad press. I take the time to get to know the people i'm

taking photos of, I see them every day. I try to be respectful while as the same time showing the sadness i feel.

I have spent time in some god awful places, Where no human should live, what I have experienced there keeps me doing

what I do.

We have a media projected truth that is repeted so much it saturates our thoughs. We stop to see the other 99% of truth

in our societys. If we are distracted in our minds we become unaware of what is happening arround us.

Pace

<p>You are all hard markers.</p>

<p>Pace,<br>

You do whatever you want to, and if you want to use photography as a way of creating awareness about matters that concern you, that's fine. But there is a fine line between creating awareness and lecturing people to adopt your point of view.</p>

<p>Most people would have a concern about social injustice, but how to correct it is the hard part.</p>

<p>Photo Net is not a forum about social justice, its simply a facility to show your photographic skills and to be better at that.</p>

<p>Why you want to be here is your business and we will all welcome seeing your images. Also be careful about raising issues through US eyes. PN is very much an international site with people from very diverse communities, some of which would horrify more fortunate people, but to them its normal. They will have a different view of the world. Like with religion, do try keep your politics and social concern more to yourself.</p>

<p>If you really want to make a difference, join Human Rights Watch or Amnesty International where you will find a keen audience.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Pace,<br>

I don't think you are being completely honest here. While I can certainly appreciate your goal of helping others who are in need, you state that you gratefully welcome feedback. So when Matt then gives you exactly what you asked for, maybe not in the way you would have liked, you accuse him of living in fear and anger, and basically not having compassion. Not exactly what I would call a "grateful response". If you are not really interested in feedback, fine, then don't ask for it. <br>

mike</p>

<p>Mike, "grateful responses" can be difficult to deliver when you get harsh feedbacks, but you are right, Pace answered with some exaggerations. Don't we all from time to time. Let's greet newcomers with open arms and concentrate on their photography, which in this case is of some interest, in my eyes, because of their theme and of their general quality. </p>

I see this is a warm friendly place to be,

With the kindest of regards, I have more important things to do than justify my word and actions when others fail to take

time to read or even understand the words. This thread is so far off topic, it goes to show why we have a world like we do

today.

Most things people have said have absolutly no relivance to any part of the origional thread.

Thank you to those who have taken the time to read and understand.

Responses about having lots of moola saved up is actually quite rediculous, maybe it was supposed to be a little fun, who

knows. We find it so easy to go out and put others down in anyway we can, without ever knowing there story. The

responses and tones displayed by people here say everything that needs to be said.

I will refrain from judging all people on here by the responses though.

I hope you continue to enjoy your photography, keep smiling and remain open to change.

pace

<p>Pace,</p>

<p>The mix of responses you received are typical for this forum. For the most part you get good feedback here. I would suggest familiarizing yourself with the forum members by reading archived posts of interest to you, thicken up your skin, and keep on posting.</p>

Pace's account was deleted. Either he deleted it because of the reaction or the moderator deleted it.

If it was done to him, then thats a sad day for open thought and freedom of expression. PN may not have been the right vehicle for his crusade of awareness. I would be very disappointed if the function of moderator had morphed into censor.

But surely that was not the case? I truly hope I was wrong.

Moderators cannot delete user accounts (that requires the deadly powers of an administrator). At no point has anyone tried to stifle Pace's freedom of expression. I removed the links he posted after it became clear that he was not genuinely interested in feedback. As a matter of course, I generally delete links for fundraising as soon as I see them, but I decided to give Pace a chance to address the (legitimate) concerns that Matt raised. Instead, he blamed negative feedback entirely on the character flaws of those who didn't praise him. Based on that, I've put him in the "just another spammer" category.

All I did was remove the links after the user deleted his own account. It's nice that you think photo.net is still a great place despite the moderators cleaning up the spam. I mean, we do our best to make photo.net a horrible place, but we're just not very good at it.

<p>I can't see to find Pace's pages any more after clicking on the links. This is an interesting thread and for any would be online traffic direction scheme, the thread serves as a reminder for what the site is, a dedicated forum for the discussion of the technical and to a lesser extent, the theory of photography. Personally, I do rather like that. However, it is very difficult for the social media savvy new user to work that out. Traffic and the generation of traffic is so heavily on their mind. SEO optimisation is their lifeblood and I guess this site is a little too old fashioned for that.</p>

<p>Starvy: It's not that the site is old fashioned on the SEO topic. It's that allowing it to become a link farm would actually <em>reduce</em> PN's visibility on search engines like Google. Erring-on-the-side-of-no-SEO-spammers in the way such forums are moderated <em>is</em> an act of SEO - but it's for PN's own SEO, not for the benefit of drive-by link herders. PN and its membership have a vested interest in not seeing this site lose its standing with Google by allowing it to be yet another swamp of blog-flogging, affiliate-linking, guerrilla-marketing noise. It's why posts here don't have link-polluted signatures - what a relief!<br /><br />That social media savvy new user knows <em>exactly</em> what he or she is doing when they try to leverage PN's good reputation for their own stand-out link. I think I'd cut such users a bit more slack if they had the decency to actually subscribe to PN before using it for free advertising.<br /><br />Mike's link moderation was exactly the right call. The difference here is that Mr. SEO Guy (Pace is not his actual name, anyway) had a chance to show a little grace <em>before</em> getting the moderation that happens to most such users instantly, without discussion. And it was super clear that grace is not what he's about. He's about: "Give me money to shoot homeless people so I can be seen later generously giving away my World Changing perspective on Human Truth." And I actually have no problem with that being his MO, but there's no reason that PN should risk eroding a bit of its own Google page rank by hosting links to his fundraising pitch, especially when he's got no history of making PN a better place.<br /><br />He could easily have provided a link to his main web site in his bio/profile here, and cultivated a normal, constructive relationship with PN's membership ... and that would have produced, in the long run, <em>far</em> more traffic for his own web presence. But he went for the my-first-ever-post-is-a-sales-pitch-with-link, and showed his real priorities.<br /><br />I think that the process through which PN generates new user accounts needs to be a lot more instructive about how not to set off the spam radar the minute one signs up. Fewer excuses that way.<br /><br />For what it's worth, I've flagged two other posts from brand new users already this morning - both blatant cases of having created user IDs in order to post marketing spam links in the forums. Such users show up every day, without fail. "Pace" didn't get shown the door because it seemed more like a boundary case, best left for moderation. Mike's role is a completely thankless one (see above, where's he's being blamed for doing the very thing that keeps this site viable).</p>

<p><em>""I mean, we do our best to make photo.net a horrible place, but we're just not very good at it.""</em><br /> <br /> Nonsense Mike ! I would not say that with some more efforts, you might just succeed to the greatest satisfaction of a few others, but I think you went over the top. I'm sure you accept my right to an opinion on the subject<br /> Personally, I would have send a short standard e-mail to Pace welcoming him to PN and informing him about the rules, that he might have violated and another letter to Matt to invite him to be somewhat less abusive when writing. But that's just me. The results of both these positive ways of acting might in fact make PN even a better place for a majority of us.</p>